ETHS honors HPME alum for work with special needs children

Some doctors save lives. Some go the extra mile to change lives. Prof. Edward (Feinberg ’81)Traisman does both.

Traisman, an Evanston Township High School alumnus who graduated from NU’s Honors Program in Medical Education in 1981, is a pediatrician who focuses on work with special needs children and an associate professor at the Feinberg School of Medicine.

He is renowned in his field for exhibiting exceptional compassion and care for his patients, said Irwin Benuck, Traisman’s partner at their local clinic, Traisman Benuck Merens Kimbo.

“He is an enthusiastic doctor,” Benuck said. “He’s caring, with an excellent fund of knowledge. He works well with the patients. He goes the extra yards to get his patients what they need.”

Traisman, whose father and grandfather were both pediatricians, began his medical career at NU in the 1970s. He said his education at NU trained him well clinically and gave him experience dealing with patients directly.

“It’s very collegial,” Traisman said. “They treat you like a peer. While you may be a freshman in medical school, you’re still a peer physician, so there’s really no hierarchy of power.”

Traisman works primarily with children who have cerebral palsy and mental retardation.

“What I love about him is the fact that he is always thinking about the patient,” said Shelley Stern, one of Traisman’s clients for the past 26 years.

Ellyn Samsky, another of Traisman’s patients, said she thinks every generation of the Traisman family doctors is “wonderful.”

“Edward’s grandfather took care of my mother’s family, so there was never a decision where we were going to go,” Samsky said. “We’ve been part of their clientele for 68 years now. Everyone should take their kids to him.”

Traisman said growing up in a medical family helped him realize his passion early.

“I liked what I saw as a child, and I felt like it was a good way to apply my science knowledge,” he said. “I went into (medicine) with no intention of doing pediatrics, but I found I really liked it. Kids are fun to work with.”

Traisman was recently honored at ETHS with the Distinguished Alumni Award-an award that recognizes expertise and excellence in the recipient’s field.

But Traisman said the proudest moments in his career are the simple ones.

“I actually like it most when my patients just say ‘Thank you,'” he said. “I don’t ask for it, but when I get a thank you, that’s all I need.”