Recession resonated with Evanston shoppers over holidays

Despite a rise in consumer confidence, several Evanston businesses said sales have been slow, even during the holiday season.

The Consumer Confidence Index, a measure of consumers’ attitudes toward the economy, rose for the second straight month in December, according to a press release from the Conference Board on Dec. 29. It rose from November’s standing of 50.6 to 52.9.

Jonathan Perman, executive director of the Evanston Chamber of Commerce, said it was too early in the year to make assumptions about last year’s economic situation in Evanston. Still, he said retail sales have been down with the nation’s recession.

“The Evanston economy, like the rest of the nation, did not fare so well,” Perman said. “But in general, Evanston’s economy is more resilient than many other places in the country.”

Evanston has around 3,000 businesses, 20 percent of which represent the retail sector, Perman said.

Ji Park, manager of the clothing store Fashion Tomato, 1631 Sherman Ave., said business has been slower this holiday season than last holiday season. As a result, Park said the store will be moving from Evanston this fall.

“During the holidays, most of the (Northwestern) students go back home, so it’s slow in Evanston,” she said. “When you see stores having more sales, you know it is slow.”

Tyler Sapien, co-owner and buyer for gift shop The Things We Love, 614 Davis St., said sales for the holiday season decreased about 20 percent from last season.

“People were buying bigger gifts last year, but now they’re more money-conscious,” Sapien said. “Customers are more careful and more definite in what they’re buying.”

Certain items sell better than others, Sapien said. While accessories like scarves and jewelry have sold well, Sapien has reduced the amount of clothing sold in the store.

“New clothes aren’t a staple,” he said. “You can still wear the key pieces you already own.”

Adam McComb, a 27-year-old student at Roosevelt University, said he spent a few hundred dollars on gifts this holiday season, a comparable amount to last year. McComb, a Chicago resident, said he felt the recession’s effects outside of gift-giving.

“I don’t eat out, or when I do, I try to keep it cheap,” McComb said. “I have the same level of income, so I don’t feel the need to save.”

Evanston resident Kathi Grant, who has 11 grandchildren, estimated she spent $2,500 on holiday gifts this year. Although she spent about the same amount as previous years,

Grant said her attitude toward spending has been cautious.

“It’s not as over-the-top as it’s been previously,” said Grant, 70. “I gave everything more thought.”

Instead of focusing on gift-giving, Grant said her family spent more time together, sharing meals and doing puzzles.

“There was a change in my family,” she said. “I enjoyed it much more, because I was not wrapped up in gift-giving.”[email protected]Nathalie Tadena contributed reporting.