Blotter: A roundup of crimes over winter break

View Blotter 1/5 in a larger map

Evanston resident, dog rescued from NU Retention Pond

A female Evanston resident and her dog fell through the ice into the Northwestern Retention Pond early Sunday morning, Evanston fire officials said.

A bystander reported the incident using a blue-light emergency call box, according to the city’s press release.

Firefighters found the woman and her golden retriever submerged 40 feet from shore, according to the release. After rescuing the woman, the firefighters were able to rescue the dog, too.

The woman had fallen into the pond trying to rescue her dog from the water.Division Chief Thomas Janetske could not be immediately reached for comment.

Hobart House window found open over Winter Break

University Police found a window of a student residence unsecured the morning of Dec. 29, UP’s Deputy Police Chief Daniel McAleer said.

Police found the window of Hobart House, 630 Emerson St., open when on patrol.Police searched the residence, found nothing and secured the window before leaving, McAleer said.

Sexual assault reported six years after incident occurred

On Dec. 9, an NU alumna reported a sexual assault that took place in 2003, McAleer said.

The victim reported the incident from out of town and was contacted by investigators on Dec. 19 for details relating to the incident, police said.

In June 2003, the victim was in a relationship with another NU student. On June 4, 2003, the victim and the suspect were in the victim’s residence at the College of Cultural and Community Studies, 2303 Sheridan Road., McAleer said.

The subjects had been consuming alcohol and were both intoxicated. Early in the morning of June 5, the suspect wanted to have sex with the victim. The victim refused, but the suspect proceeded to perform sexual acts with the victim against her will, according to the report.

UP are waiting for the victim’s decision on whether or not she wishes to pursue the case, McAleer said.

Evanston city property found vandalized with black paint

Evanston police found a city sign vandalized on Dec. 23, police said.

The letters “RERE” were painted in black on a “Do Not Enter” sign at the corner of Seward Street and Sherman Avenue, Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

The incident is not believed to be gang-related and there have been no similar incidents, Guenther said.

Pizza delivery man gets robbed of cash, phone while working

Two unknown male suspects robbed a male pizza delivery employee the evening of Dec. 29, police said.

The incident took place in the 100 block of Callan Avenue where the victim was delivering a pizza, Guenther said.

The victim tried to deliver a pizza, but there was no doorbell at the residence. The two suspects emerged from an alley and told the victim, “Don’t make this harder than it has to be,” according to police.

The suspects produced an unknown weapon and took the victim’s wallet, which contained an unknown amount of cash and his cell phone, Guenther said.

Detectives are investigating.