Covering the corner: A Q&A with Jordan Mabin

As a redshirt freshman in 2008, Jordan Mabin was getting acclimated to playing cornerback. When then-sophomore Justan Vaughn suffered a season-ending injury in the second game of the year against Duke, Mabin was thrust into a starting role and had to learn on the job. Mabin stepped in and excelled, tying for the team lead in interceptions (three) and forced fumbles (two). His performance earned him numerous honors, among them being named a Freshman All-American by Sporting News and the Football Writers’ Association of America.

The DAILY’s Brian Chappatta caught up with the second-year cornerback to discuss the challenges of playing as a freshman, the future of the program and the new Call of Duty video game.Daily Northwestern: Why did you choose Northwestern?Jordan Mabin: I’m from Michigan and Ohio, so I’ve known the Big Ten schools, and then I saw Northwestern, and academically that’s everything I wanted. The young coaching staff was saying, “You can be on the turnaround of this program.” So far, we’ve been turning it around, and every year I’ve been here we’ve had a winning season.

DN: What’s the best part about Northwestern?JM: The guys that I hang out with. I just moved off campus, I’ve got a house with eight or nine other guys, and we just have a good time. With football and school, it can stress you out, but having those guys right there, like your brothers, we just hang out, chill, go out and have a good time.

DN: What’s the best part of playing cornerback?JM: You can change the game in one play. I’ve told a lot of the younger guys “bad plays can happen.” But that comes along with the territory. Just think positive and try to make that play, and if you make that play, it can change the game.

DN: What was the toughest part of playing as a redshirt freshman?JM: Not having that many reps. I felt like I was good enough to play, I just didn’t have as many reps as a veteran would have. It was just learning, getting experience under your belt. Bad plays will come just because you’re new to the position, so you just have to take it as a learning experience.

DN: What’s it going to be like without Sherrick, once he graduates?JM: He’s definitely going to be missed because he’s a great athlete, a great player and a great leader. But Justan Vaughn, Michael Bolden, guys like that can just step up. He’s definitely going to be missed, but those guys are chomping at the bit to get in there and start playing. It’ll be sad to see him go but it’ll be exciting to see the guys step up.

DN: What’s Northwestern football going to be like in five years?JM: It’s going nowhere but up. I would say Rose Bowl. Ever since Fitz got here, he’s brought that mentality of just winning, don’t accept losing. We’re getting better recruiting classes each and every year and making better bowl games each and every year.

DN: What’s the best piece of off-the-field advice you’ve ever gotten?JM: Just time management. I know last year as a redshirt freshman and as a freshman, that’s your first time away from home, away from family, and you’re on your own. You could easily get caught up going on the Xbox all day or going out on certain days, but you have to stay on top of things. Once you get the stuff that you need to get done, then enjoy yourself.

DN: What’s the biggest difference between this year’s team and last year’s team?JM: This year’s team went through more adversity as far as injuries. And then the games that we played, we had a lot of close games last year too, but we had a lot of close games this year and we fought back real hard. That just goes to show the character of this team, getting down and being able to fight back.

DN: What is your proudest accomplishment on the field?JM: I would definitely say getting a freshman All-American last year. That was something that I was kind of shocked by, but I was excited. Not too many people get that as a freshman.

DN: What has been your favorite on-the-field moment this season?JM: When Sherrick got that interception at Illinois. Right before that I gave up a touchdown and I was just like “we were winning this game” and then they got back into it. When he came up with that interception, it was huge. And then I would also say the Iowa game, the whole game in general. That was a great atmosphere.

DN: How would you describe coach Pat Fitzgerald?JM: I would hate to play against him when he was in college. It’s cool to have him as a coach though, because he’ll get after you, but then tell you what you did wrong and what you need to do to fix that.

DN: What do you do in your free time?JM: When I do have free time, just Xbox, that new Call of Duty, I’m on that a lot. And I really like watching new movies.

DN: What actor would play you in a movie?JM: Will Smith. I’m not a drama or horror kind of person; he’s more of a comedy, easygoing kind of person.

DN: Have you ever gotten pranked?JM: Last year, Fitz had a random team meeting and he was all serious at the front and said, “All right, some guys on the team have gotten into trouble.” And these cops came in and they pulled us out of the meeting and had us handcuffed and we were all scared, we didn’t know what was going on. Then they took us out of the room and everyone just started busting up laughing. We were all nervous and scared. They got us pretty good, it was pretty funny.

DN: What are you most looking forward to about the Outback Bowl?JM: Just trying to send these seniors out with a victory, that would be the first thing I want. And then just having a good time down there with them. Trying to just leave them with a victory, enjoy the last game with them and get the win.[email protected]