Football: NU to face Auburn in Outback Bowl

Brian Chappatta

Northwestern and Auburn will face off in the 2010 Outback Bowl, as both teams accepted invitations from Outback Bowl officials Sunday. The game will start at 11 a.m. on New Year’s Day in Tampa, Fla.

“We are very pleased to welcome the Wildcats and Tigers to our Bowl,” Outback Bowl Team Selection Chairman Mitch Shriber said.  “We look forward to hosting the players, coaches and their fans for a tremendous week of fun in the Tampa Bay area that we like to call “Football in Paradise.” 

Both teams have offenses that were among the best in their respective conferences. Auburn’s Ben Tate is a semi-finalist for the Doak Walker Award, which recognizes the nation’s top running back. NU’s offense starts with senior quarterback Mike Kafka, who led the Big Ten in completion percentage. 

“We’re extremely proud of our football program, which for the second straight year, finished the season by playing its best football,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said after the announcement. “We’re proud to represent the Big Ten on New Year’s Day at the Outback Bowl against Auburn, a tremendous opponent from the Southeastern Conference. I’m thrilled for our senior class, which is one of the winningest classes in program history. Our number one goal this season was to win our bowl game. Now the opportunity is in front of us and it is time to consistently prepare every day to achieve that goal.” 

Check back soon for updates from NU’s press conference about the bowl game.