Men’s Swimming: Young NU team relies on upperclassmen for top finishes

When Jake Vogel was a freshman, the face of Northwestern swimming looked markedly different – namely older. He was one of three freshman on a squad of 20, but 12 swimmers were either juniors or seniors.

The 2006-07 Wildcats were a Big Ten powerhouse, led by senior Matt Grevers, who later competed in the 2008 Olympics. The Cats placed sixth in the NCAA championships, the team’s best finish since men’s swimming became an official NCAA sport in 1937. It was the heyday of the men’s swimming program.

“We all looked to these super-star seniors to come up big,” Vogel said. “But now we have to look to the freshmen for a lot.”

This year’s freshman class represents eight of coach Jarod Schroeder’s 19 swimmers. Vogel is one of three seniors left over from the 2006-07 golden season. Three years later, NU is off to a less auspicious start; compiling an 0-3 in the Big Ten and contending with inexperience.

“We are probably going to struggle all season with getting the freshmen comfortable with college training and competing,” Schroeder said. “But this weekend will be a good indicator of how much progress we have made.”

The Cats will host the TYR Invitational this weekend, a meet that features Cleveland State, Illinois-Chicago, Michigan State, Michigan and Division-III Kenyon College. NU has never lost a TYR Invitational, but this year’s meet will not be a cakewalk. Kenyon

College dominates Division III competition, winning 30 consecutive NCAA championships, and No. 7 Michigan is a formidable conference threat. Schroeder said he is interested to see how his team performs after taking its first rest period of the season.

The TYR Invitational is the Cats’ only meet on the calendar until early January, so they will be fronting their best swimmers over the course of the three-day competition.

“We’re looking to put our strongest guys in each event to minimize the depth issue,” freshman freestyle and butterfly specialist Alex Ratajczyk said. “We are really getting better every meet.”

But the Cats will look to more seasoned members for top finishes. Junior Sean Matthews remains undefeated in the 200-yard butterfly on the season and will be NU’s best shot in that event. Junior Alex Tyler is also undefeated on the season for the 100-yard breaststroke and will look to take that race. ,

“All of our older guys have the potential to make substantial contributions this weekend,” Schroeder said. “Hopefully they make the championship round and the not the consolation final.”

Still, the upperclassmen will need help from freshman standouts Charlie Rimkus and Varun Shivakumar. Rimkus finished first in the 1,000-yard free against Wisconsin last weekend and Shivkumar took third in the 100-yard backstroke.

“Charlie and Varun come from programs that have prepared them for this type of competition,” Schroeder said. “But all of the freshmen have the ability to swim well, whether it takes six months or a year.”[email protected]