Men’s Soccer: Former walk-on Eliason scores big for NU

As the regular season turns to the postseason, all Matt Eliason needs is one goal.

When the all-Big Ten striker scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory over Michigan State in the season finale, the junior entered into a tie for the most career goals in NU history with Jonathan Hall. With No. 9 Northwestern about to start an NCAA tournament run, that goal is more important than ever.

“It’s not like Matt is about scoring at inappropriate times,” coach Tim Lenahan said. “We certainly hope that the record-breaking goal comes in the 2009 season.”

The former walk-on’s offensive achievements are numerous. As a true freshman without a scholarship, Eliason was second on the team with five goals. His 12 goals in his sophomore season were the second-highest season total in team history, until he scored 13 this season. While Eliason has amassed 25 goals in the past two seasons, none of his teammates have totaled more than five.

“I never would’ve expected this coming in,” Eliason said. “As a walk-on freshman year, I was just fighting to find playing time.”

Lenahan said the transformation from average striker to dominant goal-scorer happened directly before he arrived in Evanston.

“When we recruited him, I didn’t see that in him,” Lenahan said. “But the first week he was here, just seeing the way he could strike the ball and that he had a knack for scoring, and I mentioned to (former NU player) Dave Roth that he could be the all-time scorer before his time was done.”

Lenahan said Eliason has literally grown into the goal-scorer he is today, citing physical size as the biggest change between Eliason as a freshman and Eliason now. He is currently the fourth-highest goal-scorer in the nation. But some things haven’t changed.

“Ability to strike the ball on goal, he’s had that,” Lenahan said. “He can strike the ball cleanly with either foot, and get himself in situations where he can get shots off.”

All this makes for someone very difficult for defenses to deal with.

“He just brings a constant threat for the other team,” senior Mark Blades said. “It’s great to have him as a teammate because it gives your team a sense of security knowing there’s someone who can score at any time during the game.”

Not only is Eliason the most prolific scorer in NU history, he’s also the most clutch: Of his 30 goals, 16 have been game-winners. For comparison, 16 goals would be 10th on the all-time NU career goals list. It’s also the fourth-most game-winning goals in Big Ten history.

But for all of Eliason’s clutch play, he’s still missing a goal in the NCAA tournament. This will be Eliason’s third consecutive trip to the tournament, but in the five games he has played in, he has yet to find the back of the net.

“At this point in the season, it’s about trying to get the win no matter how you can,” Eliason said. “I’d be much happier winning the game regardless of if I score or not.”

And with NU receiving a bye in the first round of the tournament, he’s been practicing the only way he knows how.

“I just try to score as many goals as I can in practice,” Eliason said. “That’s probably the best way to prepare for the game.”

Eliason will try to set NU’s scoring record in a second-round tournament game at Lakeside Field against Notre Dame on Sunday.[email protected]