LeBuhn: Tossing our two-faced reputation

For a while now, I’ve had a knot in my stomach about my favorite furry feline, Willie the Wildcat. Northwestern has been asking Willie to perform double duty for the past few decades, and it sounds like Willie’s purgatory might be coming to an end soon. I realized this after reading the framework for the University Strategic Plan released last week.

Fortunately for Willie, one of the University’s goals was to “clarify Northwestern’s unique value proposition” over the next 10 years – in other words, figure out just what NU represents, which means Willie finally can be the mascot for just one Northwestern.

After all, we have Willie the Big Ten Wildcat and Willie the Midwest-Ivy Wildcat. Trying to do both roles has been really hard on Willie – it’s tough trying to act like the mascot for Indiana University half the time and Yale University the other half.

One day, you might find Willie combing his mane (or whatever it is wildcats do to prepare) before an athletic event to represent NU as a Big Ten school. Willie works his poor little costumed paws to the stuffing just to try to keep NU students from ditching the game for a couple of 3 p.m. Big Cups at The Keg. This is tough work.

When the University hasn’t asked him to represent NU as a Big Ten school, they ask him to put on his academic face. Then, you can find Willie stalking through the halls of Kresge and Tech, doing some quiet, supportive back flips in a classroom during midterms. (If you’ve never noticed, he’s very discreet. He knows how distracting that might be.)

Much like Willie, NU itself has a stake in deciding what it stands for. While Willie’s done a pretty good job at straddling the fence, NU’s performance has left more to be desired.

The Plan poses several questions about these issues: “What culture does Northwestern aspire to have? Should we develop a common experience for students?” Students who complain about their NU experience ought to weigh in on these questions. After all, the answer that will be eventually developed is significant.

If the outcome of the University Strategic Plan recommends NU focuses on its academic, research-oriented side as its “unique value proposition,” that’s all well and good, just as it is if NU chooses the social, Big Ten aspect. Both commitments will carry a host of changes that should be pursued.

The fact is, NU’s attempt at wearing both masks means neither is worn all that well. It is commendable that NU is trying to tackle this problem, but I just hope it commits to one understanding and pursue it fully.

But, of course, the real reason I wrote this column was for the well-being of my dear friend Willie. Don’t worry, Willie, one day soon, you’ll know whether you’re rooting for a Big Ten university or an academic powerhouse. This one-university, two-Willie purgatory will be over soon, big guy.

Weinberg senior Mac LeBuhn can be reached at [email protected].