Guest column: Rich history of 150-year-old brotherly bond

Often I hear that by being in a fraternity, I have put myself in a box or isolated myself from the other 60 percent of Northwestern. I would argue, however, that being in Phi Delta Theta has served as a catalyst to develop an even more diverse experience. I honestly cannot say I would have gone to a Filipino Fest, or I would have welcomed the opportunity to coach basketball at the YMCA had I not been in a fraternity. But by being in a fraternity, rather than solely getting a North Campus experience or a South Campus experience, I have been embedded in a complete NU experience from brothers who participate in such a wide range of activities.

This catalyst for creating new experiences includes meeting brothers, who, while separated by age, are brought together by the ideals of the fraternity. This year, Phi Delt celebrated its 150th year at NU as the first fraternity on campus, and alumni from as far back as the ’50s came back to take part in the experience. Additionally, every year at Homecoming, different groups of brothers will come and stop by the house, tell us stories about their times living there and show their children one of the pillars of their college career.

While we may be separated by decades, we connect by telling stories about various traditions and parties. The Class of ’96, for example was impressed to hear we still have continued Phright Night, our annual Halloween party, which The Daily once called “A Train Wreck of a Halloween Tradition.” (Phright Night was better back then, in the alumni’s minds, of course, for a number of reasons.) Despite the generational differences, the opportunities to talk for extended periods of time with those brothers or some others from the ’70s who always seem to stop by are powerful bonds that are unique to the Greek community.

For current students, the involvement of our brothers also helps achieve goals on campus while creating a positive experience for everyone, too. For example, when Harry Vijayaraghavan ran for Student Services Vice President of Associated Student Government in spring of 2008, he immediately had 50 supporters who would go out to chalk the streets, hang up signs and spread the word about our new favorite candidate. Despite the fact that Harry received absolutely no endorsements from any student groups or student group leaders, he still forced a runoff and came extremely close to winning. While one could debate the merits of his candidacy, no one can debate how quickly Harry was able to get help and support from his brothers or how effective we were as a cohesive group. Being in the Greek system definitely has its advantages.

While Phi Delt has certainly shaped me by fostering lifelong friendships and developing my leadership skills, I do not believe it has defined my time at NU. It has, however, guided me along the path I have taken, offering me opportunities to have diverse experiences, to meet new people and in general have four fun years in college. As we look back on 150 years of Greek life (and Phi Delt) at NU, I think it’s safe to say both have left a positive mark on the lives of thousands – mine included.

Weinberg senior Sandeep Kini is a member and former treasurer of Phi Delta Theta. He can be reached at [email protected].