NU Greek life celebrates 150th anniversary

Phi Delta Theta, Northwestern’s first fraternity, was founded in 1859 when the campus consisted of only one building. Four degrees were awarded to students at graduation. The first female student would not be admitted until 10 years later, and campus housing was non-existent, according to NU’s Web site.

Though the chapter closed in 1861 with the start of the Civil War, and no new chapters would be formed until 1864 with Phi Kappa Psi, NU’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life considers 1859 the beginning of NU’s Greek tradition. This year marks the 150th anniversary of Greek Life at NU.

Danny Miller, assistant director of Fraternity and Sorority Life, said the 150th anniversary is significant for all of the Greek chapters at NU ­- even those that would not come until much later – because this milestone reflects the way in which Greek life has become integrated in NU’s history and tradition.

“Fraternity and sorority life is ingrained in the culture, especially compared to many of our peers in the Big Ten,” Miller said. “We are pretty proud of that.”

Today, NU’s Greek community consists of four councils with a total of 40 chapters, according to the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life Web site. NU’s first sorority, Alpha Phi, was founded in 1881. About 36 years later, Kappa Alpha Psi was founded as NU’s first historically African-American fraternity. And NU’s newest Greek council, the Multicultural Greek Council, was established in 2001 and now consists of five chapters.

Interfraternity Council President Lucas Artaiz said that although much has changed at NU in the last 150 years, today’s Greek chapters still serve the same purpose as the earlier chapters by providing students with a sense of belonging.

“Greek life has been a part of NU almost as long as NU has existed,” the SESP senior said. “It played a large role in the development of the University. The primary function is to provide a stronger sense of community to its members.”

Panhellenic Association President Ali Melnyk said the history of the Greek community is alive through chapter traditions and the ties that current members have to alumni.

“We know the same stories, songs and rituals…whether you are 21 or 72,” the Weinberg senior said. “It is a great connection with alumni.”

While the older councils on campus look to the 150th anniversary of Greek life to reflect on their history, Multicultural Greek Council President Andrea Lopez said the milestone gives the newer chapters a chance to look ahead.

“We can celebrate knowing that all of these chapters have this history,” the Communication senior said. “All of us want to leave a legacy behind, especially as a new council and new chapters.”

Though this year’s anniversary celebrates the history and tradition of the NU Greek community, the office and the councils are continuing to evolve.

Recently, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life has been working on bringing the Greek community together as a whole, promoting diversity and helping students “live out the values” of their organizations, Miller said. Much of this process has been outlined in the Office’s first strategic plan, Vision 20/20, published in March 2006.

Lopez said in the two years she has been president of the council, the four councils have increasingly tried to collaborate as part of the overall Greek community.

“This year we made more strides to come together,” she said. “Although it was not perfect, the energy is there, and I look forward to seeing them work more closely together.”

While specific policies of the Greek community have changed over time, Artaiz said the organizations have maintained their original values and purposes due to a strong emphasis on history.

“Greek life has changed but not necessarily in a different way than student life has changed,” Artaiz said. “(History is) a strong foundation for our organizations, which is why Greek life is so resilient on campus.”[email protected]