Forum opens race conversation

Two Halloween costumes sparked an unprecedented gathering of more than 600 students, faculty, staff and administrators for an open and honest discussion addressing race at Northwestern on Thursday night. As attendees shared their stories at Norris University Center’s Louis Room, some individuals in the crowd nodded, cheered and raised their fists in agreement. In the packed space, those who could not find seats stood shoulder-to-shoulder against each wall.

The forum was organized in response to the discussion over two students who painted their faces black as part of their Halloween costumes last weekend. The blackface incident gained community-wide attention after an e-mail was sent by University President Morton O. Schapiro urging conversation. Associated Student Government, the Coalition of Colors and Student Affairs sponsored the forum, which aimed to focus on the history of blackface and its negative connotations, as well as to inspire ideas for possible solutions to inspire a frank conversation of race at NU.

For Members Only Coordinator Marrion Johnson and ASG President Mike McGee opened the forum and spoke about the importance of an honest dialogue between members of the NU community.

“This conversation is about how the actions of student who dress in blackface and how the actions of students – period – is reflective upon the culture at Northwestern and how we the students are affected by that,” said Johnson, a Communication junior.

Interim Dean of Students Burgie Howard then took the stage and told the crowd he spoke with the students involved in the incident. He said the students practiced poor judgment but never meant to incite an uproar. The students’ actions, however, brought a cross-section of NU together under one roof, Howard added.

“One of the unintended consequences is a room full of people willing to listen and talk and share and discuss,” he said.

The first alleged account of blackface occurred in 1823 in the U.S., when a white comedian painted his face in imitation of a black person, said Sandra Richards, a professor in African American studies and theater. Though she said the account was likely a tall tale, from that point, the act of wearing blackface became a racial slur that signified the inferiority of blacks, she said.

“(Blackface) still says you don’t belong in ways that are echoed throughout our society today, both off-campus and on,” Richards said.

(Related: Read the full text Richards’ speech)

African American Studies Professor Barnor Hesse, the forum’s moderator, asked the audience to put thought before guilt, trauma, offense and analysis.

“Everybody thinks they have an opinion that’s worth listening to,” Hesse said. “No, your opinion on race isn’t worth listening to unless you thought about it.”

Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, a third-year graduate student in the African American Studies department, drew some of the loudest cheers from the crowd with her short speech. She said the community needs to look at how NU’s policies help to exacerbate racism.

“The one thing I want to point to is these horrible emergency crime blasts that go out over the e-mails,” she said. “Some guy gets mugged, but who are the suspects? Two black men in their 20s. Well, look around this room. How many black males in here are in their 20s, and what does that do when the University police send out reports like that? It criminalizes black men on this campus.”

As Hesse directed the conversation to specific issues, Weinberg sophomore Kellyn Lewis stood up to talk about the discrepancy between those who express interest in discussing race and those who are willing to look forward and address solutions. “In this room we have a section of people who are willing to talk about race,” he said. “But there is that point of divide. How do we move on from there?”

Attendees spoke frankly during the forum: An international student described facing discrimination for not being an American, a faculty member discussed how the faculty is not diverse enough.

As a solution to the costume incident, audience members suggested looking at the black community to lead the charge while others looked toward the administration and suggested setting guidelines on Halloween costumes.

Interfraternity Council President Lucas Artaiz, who attended the forum, said the community took a decisive step on Thursday in an issue that “seems to constantly hang over NU.”

From his vantage point, community members have previously taken the path of least resistance, pushing the “difficult” issue of race further down the road, the SESP senior said.

This time, however, things are different, Artaiz said.

“Though this is only a first step, I think it’s the right one, and I was really proud to see the community take that step together,” he said.

At the close of the forum, Schapiro was urged to address the audience, though he had originally not intended to do so.

“I’m saying this from the bottom of my heart: If I can’t solve those kinds of things, Northwestern should get someone who can,” he said. “We will redouble our efforts…If we don’t respond, hold me accountable. We all have to remember just getting together is the first step, but it’s not the output. The output is making this a more diverse and a more inclusive community.”[email protected]

Produced by Trevor Seela

Comment policy: The Daily Northwestern reserves the right to remove comments that are offensive or libelous.

Forum opens race conversation