Editorial: Use race forum as opportunity to take action

This was the spark that started the fire.

Halloween costumes perceived as racially insensitive ignited underlying tensions at Northwestern when two students painted their faces black, recalling the history of satirical depictions of blacks known as blackface.

Addressing this single incident through a community forum should be the catalyst for further discussions of race at NU. Thursday’s event is an attempt to start a conversation.

The future dialogue and the events to come should work toward breaking stereotypes of other racial, ethnic and religious groups to form a more united community.

Many student groups, such as Associated Student Government, have mobilized quickly in response to the issue of racial respect on campus. A variety of students across a range of activities have acted and urged others to get involved. As the blackface incident does not violate official NU policies, the administration is not in the position to take disciplinary action – placing the responsibility on students to bring their own concerns to light.

President Morton O. Schapiro’s campus-wide e-mail Tuesday was an acknowledgement of students’ efforts to talk about this tough topic, giving the event the momentum to reach those who otherwise wouldn’t have paid attention. His support for students’ activism follows his emphasis in the first months of his presidency on being an active presence on campus. The e-mail was vaguely worded: “You are probably aware of the incident that took place this weekend,” Schapiro wrote. While he included the students’ description of the forum pasted at the bottom of the message, Schapiro didn’t mention race or what specifically occurred in the body of his e-mail. Still, even if it caused a moment’s confusion for those unfamiliar with the Halloween costumes’ controversy, the message piqued students’ interest.

This call to action is an opportunity for students to engage in actively transforming NU’s collective racial mentality. Student leaders are all but expected to rise to the challenge. In order for the forum to be a success, though, each and every individual must commit to beginning a conversation.

It’s time to stop the pattern of stereotypes at NU. Traces of racism are evident in not only these two Halloween costumes, but in themed parties where attendees are encouraged to dress “ghetto” or in ways that mock certain minority groups. More than just an example of perhaps inadvertent racism, this recent incident is the result of letting other offensive acts slip past.

This year corresponds with the 10th anniversary of the Multicultural Center and NU’s highest black enrollment of the past nine years, according to the Office of University Enrollment. The benchmarks are heartening, but there is still much to be done. The student body should be proactive instead of reactive – had these costumes never been worn, would NU students, faculty and administrators still be calling for a community-wide forum on race?

Let’s step outside groupthink and channel this passion toward shaping a better NU, one less defined by segmentation and more inclusive of our differences. Use Thursday’s forum to seize the initiative to redefine diversity at NU. A campus-wide shift in racial attitudes may take more work: We may find the need to reexamine Diversify NU programming or refocus ethics distribution requirements to make them more relevant and important.

Inviting open minds and soliciting serious commitments to change the status quo, Thursday’s event can be the first step in starting a constructive dialogue about race with the entire NU community.

How can NU alleviate racial tensions on campus? Vote at www.dailynorthwestern.com/forum