Editorial: Seeking safety around campus

It’s time to take back our campus.

Security alerts about nearby crimes, including incidents of a business and students being robbed, have us walking nervously through Evanston. But on a campus that extends far beyond the mile-long stretch of university buildings on Sheridan Road, students, faculty and staff should feel safer traveling around Northwestern.

The University has already stepped up safety initiatives following the crime reports. There is a noticeable increase in NU and Evanston Police presence in heavily populated student areas off campus, and the administration has extended SafeRide’s operating hours and expanded its fleet. The NU community should also take advantage of the shuttle system, with its updated Global Positioning System tracking, in order to avoid solitary strolls.

But there are times when you can’t catch a SafeRide, or you don’t see a police cruiser and feel that flush of relief. An easy step to making neighboring blocks of Evanston safer for both students and city residents would be additional lighting on dark streets.

With buildings scattered throughout our corner of Evanston, NU’s bounds and obligations to keep us safe stretch to cover most of the off-campus areas frequented by students and staff members, including apartments and restaurants located nearby. Improving lighted areas is an opportunity for Evanston and NU to team up again and show initiative through our improving city-campus partnership. Brighter streets will deter lurkers and heighten our awareness on the brisk walk home.