Editorial: Green projects keep NU at top

How green are we?

Even as NU and student groups continue to develop academic programming and student group involvement in environmental initiatives, NU is already taking us in the right direction for sustainability.

NU is ranked by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency among the top 10 universities purchasing green power, according to the NU Facilities Management Web site.

Using buildings such as the Wieboldt School of Continuing Studies in Chicago and the Ford Motor Company Engineering Design Center in Evanston as models for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification, NU has pledged to have all new buildings meet LEED standards – which would include Silverman Hall, the research lab under construction on North Campus. Among major renovations on campus, including Harris Hall and Searle Hall, designers may have considered improving energy efficiency and adding central temperature control, according to the Web site.

With more energy use policies in place to reduce NU’s environmental impact, the University can use its projects to help raise awareness of being green throughout the community. While environmental science majors and members of eco-friendly groups may be on the cutting edge of green advances, there needs to be a more general, university-wide push for sustainability.

Evanston is making strides in becoming more environmentally friendly, too – the City Council recently passed an ordinance to require LEED ratings for all new buildings – putting NU in an ideal position for furthering its green initiatives.