Cross country: Busta busts out after battling past injuries

Sophomore Hallie Busta entered her freshman season with a stress fracture, yet battled back to run in the middle of Northwestern’s pack later in the season.

Now, with a full summer of training under her belt, Busta is at the front of the Wildcats’ pack.

After being the fourth or fifth NU runner for the majority of last season, the sophomore has been the second NU runner across the finish line in three consecutive races. “Summer training has made a huge difference in terms of performances,” coach April Likhite said. “Still, her races haven’t really been a reflection of her performances. She’s been underestimated on what she can do.”

Last season, Busta did not make her racing debut until the end of September. Despite the late start, she still factored into NU’s team score in the five races she ran, including finishing as the third Wildcat across the line at the Big Ten Championships.

But she has made an even larger impact this season. Busta’s string of races as NU’s second finisher started at the Roy Griak Invitational. In the 6K race in Minnesota, Busta finished 48th out of 193 runners, helping the Cats to a 12th-place team finish.

Her streak continued with a 26th-place finish at the Sean Earl Lakefront Invitational and a 33rd-place finish at the Bradley Classic.

The Cats have relied on their pack running this season. The team typically has its second, third and fourth runners all finish within about 20 seconds of each other and its fifth runner another 15 seconds back.

“It’s fantastic running together,” Busta said. “At practices, we have a few packs when we’re in training, and in races that transitions over. It’s nice to have four or five girls to run with in practice and races.”

On the young NU cross country team, Busta has emerged as a leader-by-example, both on and off the course.

“Hallie is a very balanced individual,” Likhite said. “She’s just really a go-getter at everything she does, from her schoolwork to her running. She’s a very impressive and mature individual.”

NU will head to Penn State for the Big Ten Championships on Saturday. The meet will feature six of the nation’s top 30 teams, including No. 13 Illinois, No. 15 Minnesota and No. 18 Penn State. The Cats finished nearly 250 points behind Minnesota at the Griak Invitational in September.

NU has finished last in three of the past four conference championships. The exception was 2007, when the team finished 10th. For the Cats to move up this season, they will need a strong performance from Busta.

“What she’s gained in the past couple weeks is the confidence to go out a little stronger and attack a race and not be so concerned about sticking with the pack or going out too fast,” Likhite said.