Blotter: Fog machine sets of Shepard fire alarm; Police think string of burglaries are related

Fog machine sets off Shepard fire alarm

A fog machine at a student party set off the fire alarm in Shepard Residential College Tuesday, police said.

Police responded to a fire alarm at Shepard, 626 University Place, at 9:35 p.m. Tuesday, University Police Deputy Chief Dan McAleer said. Police determined someone in the west side of the second floor had set off the alarm.

A community service officer told police students were having a Halloween party in a room on the second floor. A student brought his fog machine into the hallway, setting off the alarm, McAleer said.

Fog machines are not permitted in dormitories, McAleer said. The student was referred to Student Affairs.

Police think string of burglaries are related

Several burglaries that occurred within blocks of each other Tuesday may be connected, police said.

Three burglaries occurred on the 2100 block of Ridge Avenue between 12 and 2:30 p.m., Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther said. Computers were taken from all three residences, as well as a camera from one residence.

One burglary was attempted on the 700 block of Simpson Street, which intersects Ridge Avenue, between 8 a.m. and 5:40 p.m., Guenther said. Two more burglaries occurred on the 800 block of Simpson Street between 9 a.m. and 5:45 p.m., he said. A camera was taken from one of the residences.

Guenther said police think the burglaries are related, due to the similar locations, time frames and means of entry. The police report said each residence was forced open using a pry tool.

Police are investigating.