Student parents search for childcare

Analidis Bendana, a Weinberg senior with a three-year-old son, is trying to take an active role in getting affordable childcare at Northwestern.

Because NU’s Evanston campus does not offer subsidized childcare for students, faculty or staff, parents must search elsewhere in the community for daycare and baby sitters.

“We have plenty of staff, faculty, and students that could benefit from it,” Bendana said. “Not just women but men, too.”

Bendana is planning to meet with University President Morton O. Schapiro in about two weeks to discuss how the University could better address the needs of parents on campus, including preferential enrollment and subsidized daycare.

Other institutions such as the University of California-Berkeley offer both subsidized and non-subsidized childcare programs for students based on need through the university’s Early Childhood Education Program. Without a similar organization, NU families rely on other services.

Illinois Action for Children is an agency assisting families with childcare issues and has an agreement with NU in assisting staff and students with finding childcare. Kanella Maniatis is a childcare consultant for the agency and provides resource and referral benefits for NU faculty, staff and students.

“It’s a benefit specifically for NU families,” Maniatis said. “We start out with a consultation, let them know their options and give them tools in helping them find a quality program.”

The agency also provides assistance through the state to help parents pay for childcare if they qualify.

Students, staff and faculty on the Chicago campus can utilize KinderCare Northwestern University Learning Center for childcare needs. KinderCare gives priority enrollment to NU families and Northwestern Medical Faculty Foundation employees, as well as up to $75,000 in fee assistance each year for those who qualify.

NU parents on the Evanston campus can use the Work Life department for childcare solutions. The University has an agreement with the McGaw YMCA Children’s Center in Evanston that gives children of NU students and staff priority enrollment. They also may qualify for need-based fee assistance through the University.

The YMCA offers full day, preschool and after-school programs for children between the ages of six weeks and five years old. Tina Jonke, the assistant director of the Early Childhood Program at the YMCA, reports encountering more NU parents each year, and views the partnership as beneficial for both institutions.

“(NU) faculty and staff are asking about us because they respect and know the quality childcare center (we have), and that’s the next best thing if they don’t have one on campus,” Jonke said.

Other NU families must rely on outside childcare centers, so they may find difficulty in paying for care. Bettye Cohns, assistant director of parent and staff education at the Childcare Center of Evanston, has worked with several members of the NU community.

“It might be difficult for NU parents to find affordable childcare not only at this center, but at any center in our community,” she said.

Cohns added this is because parents applying for childcare have to qualify for a subsidy according to state requirements. Graduate students do not meet the criteria, whereas undergraduate and faculty family incomes may be too high to receive assistance.

“Typically the (income ceiling) is so low that the family would have to be making next to nothing to qualify for a subsidy,” Cohns said.

Bendana said although she is graduating next year, she wants future students to have first pick of classes in order to make scheduling childcare easier.

“Athletes get preference, so I think it would be really helpful if we have preferential enrollment for parents,” Bendana said.

Student parents search for childcare