Nonprofit to build school in Indian village

When Abhita Reddy visited the local school in the Indian village where her father grew up, she was shocked by its small size, lack of books and absence of school supplies. Since the Weinberg senior’s visit this past summer, she has founded Tanguturu Trust, a nonprofit organization that raises funds to build a new school in the area.

The school will be taught in both English and Telugu, the native language of the region. Reddy also said she hopes to add more highly qualified teachers, a library and a playground. In addition, while the current schoolhouse only fits elementary students, her vision would leave a school that caters to students through 12th grade.

“It’s a really ambitious project, but especially because it’s happening in India, the costs are going to be a fraction of what they would be if I were to do this here,” Reddy said.

Ananthaiahgaripalli, the site for the future school, only offers a two-room schoolhouse for students from kindergarten through fifth grade. Due to lack of supplies and teacher training, education is limited, Reddy said.

The village’s economy is largely agriculturally based, and Reddy said parents did not emphasize their children’s education, but instead focused on traditional farming models.

“It’s important for their children to realize that there is a world out there that’s very different from the one they’re living in,” Reddy said. “In order for them to have that exposure, they need to be educated.”

While Tanguturu Trust is not officially affiliated with Northwestern, Reddy said a McCormick professor wants to offer a class next quarter as an ongoing project in sustainable design.

Organizers are currently working on fundraising for the school’s construction and materials.

They said they hope to raise the money needed by next summer when, if enough interest is generated, volunteers will be able to visit the village to help with the school’s construction and teach English.

“Education is a way to awaken the mind and help people achieve what they want to achieve,” said David Corlew, a Bienen and Weinberg freshman who heard about the project.

Reddy’s efforts within the village are made easier by the people’s recognition of her father and the success he has made for himself, she said.

“I think she has a very ambitious plan … but you can’t achieve everything overnight,” said her father, Sanjeeva Reddy. “She has to work hard to get to that level, but it can be done.”

Abhita Reddy named her project after her father, who left the village to attend graduate and medical school, both in India and the U.S.

“Letting these kids have an opportunity (like) my dad had would make this world a better place,” she said. “If it makes a difference in one person’s life … all this effort is important. A lot of people have asked me why are you doing this and my initial response is why not?”

“We all have the potential to do so much, so why don’t we just jump at the opportunity and do it.”

Tanguturu Trust’s next information session will take place on Nov. 5 at Tech LR5 at 6 p.m.