Moran returns from retirement for state legislature run

After serving the city of Evanston for 18 years as an alderman , Edmund Moran has decided to return from retirement and run for state representative. Moran is one of five candidates who will be competing for the democratic ticket in February’s primary election.

The general election is in November 2010.

Moran said he has decided to come back to politics after becoming seriously concerned over what he thought was a “terribly dysfunctional state government.”

“Clout had taken over the state of Illinois,” he said. “It came down to who you know, not what you know.”

Now that he’s back on the political track, Moran said ethics reform is at the top of his agenda.

“We need to organize how the Illinois legislature goes about getting work done,” he said. “I’d like it to be more democratic.”

Jeff Wilson, a member of Moran’s campaign committee, said Moran’s passion for justice inspired him to get involved in politics.

“I was impressed with how he stood behind the people in his ward despite the opposition on the city council,” Wilson said. “He’s just one guy, but he has the power to change a lot of things.”

Budget discipline, funding education, improving the environment and working on transportation are issues that are also central to his campaign, Moran said. Those matters will become increasingly important over the next several years.

“I want there to be more of a bipartisan effort in Springfield,” he said. “It is more important that the state of Illinois is winning, and that people work on a collaborative basis.”

Moran said his legislative experience sets him apart from his opponents: Patrick Keenan-Devlin, Jeff Smith, Eamon Kelly and Robyn Gabel.

“My experience in life, legislation and as a community member show my accomplishments,” Moran said. “I am the one candidate with legislative experience, and that speaks well for my candidacy.”

Moran said during his years as an alderman, he worked to improve Northwestern’s relationship with the Evanston community.

When boundaries for wards were redrawn years ago, he made sure the impact of thestudent vote was not diluted.

“I have worked hard under difficult circumstances to keep the city and the University on the same page,” he said. “On the city council, bashing NU is considered a great sport, and I am not one who takes part.”

Ald. Delores Holmes (5th) served with Moran on the city council while he was in office, and said she has high regard for his political integrity and perseverance.

“I thought he was a very strong and independent thinker,” she said. “He truly believed in what he stood for.”

Moran’s campaign is currently in the signature phase, Wilson said. The committee is gathering 500 signatures from registered voters to get Moran’s name on the ballot. Wilson said once the committee has gathered all the required signatures, the next step will be to work on communication by blogging, updating Moran’s Web site and fundraising.

“Ed has the ability to weigh both sides of an issue and not be prejudiced by the things swirling around him,” Wilson said. “He doesn’t play the political games.”

Moran said he was honored to serve the city for 18 years as an alderman and is ready to take up the new responsibilities that come with the office of state representative.

“People in office should stand up for what they think is right,” Moran said. “Ultimately what I’m trying to do it make people’s lives a little bit better, and I know I can do that.”[email protected]