More than 1,400 students register for Dance Marathon

More than 1,400 students plan to participate in Dance Marathon 2010 as dancers or committee members, the DM executive board announced Wednesday.

This is the second year in a row that more than 1,000 dancers have registered for the 30-hour marathon. The 35th annual event will be held March 5-7.

StandUp for Kids, a national nonprofit organization helping homeless youth, is this year’s primary beneficiary. For the 13th year in a row, the Evanston Community Foundation will serve as the secondary beneficiary. Last year, DM raised $917,834 for its primary beneficiary, Project Kindle.

DM used a digital registration process for the first time this year, allowing dancers to sign up online but turn in their waivers in person. According to a press release, DM is moving toward a completely paperless system.

“It made things a lot more flexible for the dancers, which is obviously what we want,” DM Executive Co-chair Lauren Troy said.

Troy, a SESP senior, said the executive board members were “really thrilled” with the number of registrants. As in the past, Troy said DM hopes to enhance the dancers’ connection with the beneficiary.

DM committee members hope to organize weekly volunteering opportunities with both the primary and secondary beneficiaries, in addition to other events, she said.

“We feel that is really the best way for dancers to have a great experience,” Troy said.

The location of this year’s DM event has not yet been determined, Public Relations Co-chair Rucha Mehta said. Last year’s DM was held in a tent on the Norris University Center’s East Lawn to accommodate the number of dancers and allow all participants to dance in the same location.

The first DM dancer meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 27 in Fisk 217.

– Christina Salter