Kappa Delta’s Demon Dash fights child abuse

On Saturday morning, 92 runners celebrated Halloween early. The runners, who donned witches hats, devil horns and masks, ran across campus to raise money for Prevent Child Abuse America, were racing for the fifth annual Demon Dash, held by Kappa Delta sorority as part of its philanthropy. The event raised about $2,200 for the organization.

This year’s theme was “The Devil Wears Sneakers,” although organizers originally wanted to use “The Devil Wears Nikes,” but were prohibited due to copyright issues.

“It’s a motivation to exercise,” said Medill sophomore Zoe Jennings, who participated in the event. “It’s always interesting to see who will get up at 9:15 to run in 50 degree weather.”A member of KD dressed as a futuristic Minnie Mouse, Weinberg sophomore Jenna Kastan added.

Prevent Child Abuse America offers prenatal education and supports legislative efforts aimed at ending child abuse, as well as other national anti-child abuse programs. The run was co-sponsored by American Rag and Clif Bar.

“We’ve gotten $600 in corporate sponsorship,” said KD’s Philanthropy Chair Cameron Sieber. The event itself raised about $1,600, organizers said.

The organization has previous ties to Northwestern – it was founded by a Northwestern KD alumna, Sieber said.

Participants were a mix of Evanston residents, NU students and their family members. The route took runners around the Lakefill and past Norris University Center, up to Lincoln Street, through the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion parking lot near Lakeside Field, and ended at the south point of the Lakefill.

“I like 5Ks because they’re not so much about competition as people getting together to run,” Jennings said.

Organizers said they were pleased with the amount raised.

“We’ve done the best we have in a couple years, so everyone is really happy,” Kastan said.However, the event did not end with the conclusion of the race. Led by Sieber and the four Demon Dash co-chairwomen, KD organized relay obstacles for eight teams of four.

Participants competed in a bracket-style tournament for prizes in two events, the first of which were potato sack races.

Competitors in the second race fished fake spiders out of giant, shaving cream-filled pumpkins and finished with relay race activities such as “dizzy-bat.”

Some of the event’s attendees were distracted by NU alum David Schwimmer, Communication ’88, who was being filmed for an NU video on the Lakefill. One lucky participant got Schwimmer’s autograph as he was filming.