Business: On-the-field success drawing big crowds

Northwestern athletic events have seen an increase in attendance across the board in 2009, due to a combination of recent success, locally active student athletes and a strong marketing strategy.

In almost every fall sport, attendance is up and fans have been cheering on the Wildcats in greater numbers than last year. Despite popular opinion, football isn’t the only sport that enjoys large crowds. “Other sports work really hard – it’s not just the revenue generating sports that draw,” said Mike Wolf, assistant athletic director for athletic communications.

Men’s soccer attendance is up 29 percent from 2008, including a record crowd of 2,211 during Wildcat Welcome on Sept. 18. Women’s soccer and volleyball are also up from last year. Football is the only sport that is marginally down in attendance, due to home games held before students arrived this year. In addition, the Cats opened the 2009 season against an FCS team (Towson), compared to an FBS team (Syracuse) last year.

Senior Associate Athletics Director John Mack said the increase in attendance is due in part to a mixture of recent victories.

“Success draws interest,” Mack said.

This season, the Cats have enjoyed great success in fall sports. Both men’s soccer and field hockey are ranked (No. 21 and No. 18, respectively), and other teams have enjoyed similar triumphs. When students and Evanston residents read about the Cats’ victories, attendance is liable to increase.

“When the teams are playing well, there’s a lot of positive energy, and it creates a more entertaining environment,” said Weinberg freshman Logan Koepke.

It’s not just the success that draws fans. Tracie Hitz, associate athletic director for sales and marketing, believes the record and reputation of opposing teams is directly related to attendance. Working with students at the Kellogg School of Management, Hitz discovered the visiting team’s success rate has a profound influence on attendance. Hitz said she is not surprised at the numbers so far and expects “a big push in the numbers” when Penn State and Wisconsin come to Ryan Field for football.

With football games, there are a complex number of factors that dictate attendance. The other team may be on a hot streak like Iowa or might have a marquee player like Penn State’s Daryll Clark The start time and level of television coverage can also affect figures.

At NU, Hitz said it is difficult to gauge the amount of student support because of the small student body.

“People are confused when they see 4,000 fans at games and get worried about support, but it’s half of 8,000,” Hitz said. “50 percent is good, we’re glad to get it.”

Coach Pat Fitzgerald is also a powerful tool in garnering fans. Many recent alumni remember his storied days on the gridiron, and a recent promotion offered a free T-shirt to all fans in attendance who showed proof they were friends with Fitzgerald on Facebook.

The increase in attendance is beneficial for both the athletes and the fans who live for the experience of Big Ten sports.

“I like the bigger crowds,” McCormick junior John Kinsella said. “There’s more energy, and it makes me feel more involved in the game.”

Responding to the economy’s downturn, the marketing department has made an effort to help people who are struggling attend games.

“We are aware of the economic situation – we want fans to afford games,” Mack said.public works give cats good name

The Fan it Forward program started by NFL players and NU alumni Luis Castillo and Barry Cofield donates tickets to less fortunate fans. People can nominate fans that have fallen on hard times by e-mail to receive free tickets to watch the Cats. So far, through the generosity of the alumni, 100 percent of requests have been fulfilled.

Student athletes’ outreach in the community has also aided attendance. Betsi Burns, assistant director for athletics for academic services and student development, said the Cats recorded more than 5,300 hours of community service last year. Although it is optional, more than 98 percent of student athletes participate in community service.

“Our student athletes have been blessed with gifts,” Burns said. “It makes me so proud that they make paying it forward a priority in their lives.”

For the past four years, NU has had a player named to the AFCA’s Good Works Team. The team nominates 11 athletes each year.

The Cats’ visibility off the field has helped put fans in seats.

“Whether it’s soccer, lacrosse, volleyball or tennis, this is a place where we have good students and very good scholar-athletes,” Mack said.

Athletes manage to make time for community activities from tutoring to Relay for Life and Special Olympics.

“I don’t think people realize what our student athletes do in their busy schedules and what impact they have around Evanston,” Burns said.

Burns said she believes it is key to set up a “win-win situation” between the Cats and the Evanston community.

The “cornerstone event” for outreach campus is Field Day. More than 200 children play sports and interact with members from all 19 varsity teams. The rapport the athletes build with children at Field Day has an influence at sporting events throughout the next year.

“Kids go home and say ‘I just met Andrew Brewer! Can we go to a football game next year?'” Burns said.

Attendance figures are falling in line with the athletic department’s goals.

“I’m happy with the ways thing are going,” Hitz said. “We’re where we need to be. For the future, we will look to keep up our success.”[email protected]