Women’s soccer: Cats ready to rely on confident offensive attack

In just five minutes against Michigan on Sunday, Northwestern scored two goals. It put up 17 shots that game, including eight on goal, both season-highs for a team that is last in the Big Ten in goals and second-to-last in shots. The Wildcats hope to keep their offensive momentum going this weekend as they take on Penn State and No. 25 Ohio State.

“Our offense and our attack have got some confidence right now,” coach Stephanie Erickson said.

The defense played a big part in Sunday’s comeback as well. After giving up two goals in the first 48:41 against Michigan, the defense did not allow a shot on goal for the final 61:19.

“It’s mostly just learning from what’s happened,” sophomore defensive player Nicole Duller said. “So for the goals, we definitely just need to get closer pressure on the ball, and it’s not going to happen.”

On Friday night, NU (4-6-2, 1-1-1 Big Ten) will take on Penn State.

The Nittany Lions (5-5-1, 1-1) are coming off a year in which they won the Big Ten Championship and earned an NCAA tournament bid. Penn State comes into Friday’s game with an all-time 15-2 advantage over the Wildcats.

“They’re a great team, loaded with talent, loaded with athleticism, always are,” Erickson said. “Their roster’s very deep, but we play well against this team. I think we get up for it. They’re always supposed to win the game, and we embrace that role (of underdog) very well.”

Last time NU played Penn State, it hung early but ultimately lost 1-0 on the road.

“They’re a very good team,” junior midfielder Jennifer Baumann said. “They always show up to play, especially last year. It was a very difficult loss to take, because we were in that game and that one goal is a really hard loss for anyone.”

Although Penn State is .500 heading into Friday’s game, three of its five losses have come against top-15 teams.

“They’ve had a tough schedule from what I’ve heard,” Duller said. “But they’re always just really physical, and they have a good front line, so as a defense, we have to be worried about that, but I think we’ll be ready to play.”

NU has also played a hard schedule, including four straight games versus ranked teams earlier this year. The Cats have turned their schedule into a positive.

“Our schedule has done wonders for us,” Erickson said. “(This is the) first time we’ve had a schedule like this, with this much competition, this many ranked teams. And whether you win those games or lose those games, if you focus on the right things, you’re going to get better every time you play.”

On Sunday afternoon, the Cats will play their first televised game of the season, at Ohio State (8-2-1, 1-1). The Buckeyes come into the game with the Big Ten’s stingiest defense, allowing just 0.53 goals per game. Their senior goalkeeper, Lauren Robertson, enters the game with eight shutouts in 11 games.

“They take a lot of pride in their defending,” Erickson said. “They have a great goalkeeper. She’s all over the place, in front of the goal. She covers her box very well. I just think they take a lot of pride in keeping the ball out of the back of the net. I respect that in a big way. Certainly doesn’t mean they can’t be broken down.”

The Ohio State offense is also potent. Led by sophomore forward Paige Maxwell and freshman forward Lauren Granberg, the Buckeyes are averaging two goals per game. Maxwell netted the game-winner last season in the Buckeyes’ 1-0 victory over NU.

“I just remember (Ohio State) had a very good attack.” Baumann said, “Both of these teams tend to overlook us, and that plays to our advantage, so we always come in hard and ready to play, no matter who our opponent is.”