Ski Trip information session builds interest

The Northwestern Ski and Snowboard Club announced Sept. 30 this year’s winter Ski Trip will take place at Winter Park, Colo., from Dec. 12-18.

The price for the trip is $399, down from last year’s price of $450, and it includes slope-side lodging. Flights are not included, but food, lessons and entertainment will be discounted.

Last year, 770 students went to Steamboat, Colo. Board members said they expect a larger turnout this year due to the decrease in price.

“It’s going to be the biggest trip ever,” saidAndrew Adair, an executive board member of the club. “Part of that is reaching out to the new groups in Northwestern who don’t know much about it.”

Past ski trips have included students both with and without prior winter sports experience.

“My first year on Ski Trip was my first time ever on a mountain – it was an amazing experience,” the Weinberg senior said. “(My) junior year, there was a sophomore who was one of the best snowboarders I’ve ever met. We would try to follow him through the trees, cut back and forth, do all these jumps…. (It) turned out to be a fantastic experience, something I wouldn’t expect.”

Weinberg senior Michelle Abtahi said she is excited to go on Ski Trip this year.”I think it’ll be a good last opportunity to be with all my friends in a stress-free situation, a fun environment, surrounded by other Northwestern students,” she said.

While past trips have consisted largely of upperclassmen, club members said they are trying to recruit more freshmen this year.

“When I went freshmen year, it was me, two of my new friends from Fall Quarter, a few girls from the dorm, and that was it. That was all the freshmen I knew,” said John Webber, a board member and Weinberg senior. “I made friends on the trip and got close to those kids. It was definitely the best week of my freshman year.”

Tickets for the trip will go on sale Monday, Oct. 12. They will be available for purchase until the trip is full, which usually happens sometime in November, according to board members.

The group is currently looking for students to help promote the trip. After tickets go on sale, the club will hold a promotional day during which members will encourage students to wear ski clothing, board members said.

The slogan for this year’s trip is “There are no friends on a powder day.”