Confirmed and denied

Sex rules

Forget freedom of speech. Tufts is banning sex! After about a dozen complaints from disgruntled roommates at Tufts University in Medford, Mass., the Residential Life and Learning Office revised its rules and regulations booklet. Not only must students restrain themselves while roomies are around, but they also cannot have a guest stay over more than three nights in a row in any given week, and no more than nine nights in any 30-day period. (All these rules are listed after the office director’s enthusiastic letter advocating “Putting the Unity in the CommUNITY!”) So, dreading that we might be nearing that dozen-complaint mark (really, that was all it took?), we asked Northwestern’s ResLife office and the Undergraduate Housing Office how many unhappy, sexiled roommates have called. Good news: Neither office has any idea, nor does anyone plan on starting a tally. Administrators, we think we speak for the entire student body when we say, thank you for ignoring us this time.

Party police

It’s not just in our heads. The Evanston residents – you know, the “real people” who live among us off campus – have taken to calling the cluster of student-leased houses near the intersection of Maple Avenue and Gaffield Place “Ground Zero.” Most of the student houses falling within the scorned area are male and fraternity-affiliated, and the college guys can’t seem to throw an uninterrupted party. But is it really bad enough to warrant a moniker reminiscent of a national tragedy? While neighbors only called in four noise complaints in 2008, already in 2009 the Evanston Police Department has counted seven within the 900 block of Gaffield and the 2000 and 2100 blocks of Maple. Looks like the theme for the rest of this year’s parties will have to be… silence.

Undergrads get the shaft

Girlfriend coming to visit this weekend? Don’t get your hopes up for post-Legend nookie. Rumors that A&O would open up ticket sales to non-Northwestern students are false – but that doesn’t mean you won’t see townies inside. While each undergraduate student can buy up to four tickets and give them to fellow students, each grad student and faculty member is permitted two tickets, one of which can go to anyone they’re willing to hand it to. Why the discrimination? A&O works closely with NU police to determine security ground rules for each show produced, so they ran the idea past them first. A&O was optimistic because of the greater-than-usual venue capacity (Welsh-Ryan Arena), but no cigar. “The NUPD wasn’t enthused about letting undergrads bring guests from outside Northwestern,” says Adam Pumm, the chairman of A&O Productions. “We reached a compromise on this.” Nearly 3,500 tickets have already been sold, and Pumm says tickets might be sold at the door to NU students. Long-distance significant others will have to sit this one out.

Confirmed and denied