Norris dining area upgrades with summer renovations

After two years at the top of the wish list for the Undergraduate Budget Priorities Committee, improvements to Norris University Center have finally been executed.

Renovations to the dining area on the ground floor, which include new furniture and the elimination of dividers and a raised platform in the food court area, began in early August and were completed in time for Wildcat Welcome Week.

“The old furniture was pretty old and pretty tired,” said Steve Guinta, assistant director for Norris. “We needed something to liven the area up and show off the spirit of the school.”

The decision to revamp the dining area on the ground floor began with the UBPC, whose members delivered recommendations to redecorate the building’s ground floor to Norris staff last year. In late spring, students from UBPC, Associated Student Government, the Norris Center Advisory Board and Norris staff met with members of FGM Architects to design improvements for the ground floor. FGM representatives first asked for student input on how to improve the space for public use. In an additional meeting, concepts for possible designs were drawn and decided upon. A portion of the funding came from NU’s administration, and the remainder came from other sources.

“It was a result of blending original concepts with what the students picked,” said Norris Executive Director Rick Thomas. “They looked at fabric samples and even sat in the chairs.”

Thomas said the idea behind furniture replacements followed the concept of the “couches” area behind Starbucks on the first floor of Norris.

“Like the redesigned area around Starbucks, the ground floor is also a dining area, and it needs to be a good place to dine and hang out in,” he said.

The furniture came from a variety of manufacturers, and the Norris staff worked with a contractor for more substantial changes to the space, including opening the dividers adjacent to the food court.

“We had a goal of bringing color and variety to the space,” Thomas said. “A lot of student input further refined the process over the summer.”

However, the old furniture did not go to waste. Guinta said he searched for a number of different charities that were interested in receiving the tables, chairs and couches as a donation. The Heartland Alliance for Human Needs and Human Rights in Chicago was the final recipient of 50 tables and 200 chairs.

So far, Norris employees have seen a positive student response to the renovated ground floor.

“The couches have made it a lot more friendly, less like a cafeteria and more like a lounge,” said Medill sophomore Joanna Powell. “It’s more student-centered now.”

Guinta said he has yet to see a negative reaction.

“If anyone doesn’t like it, they haven’t told us yet,” he said.