Jamba Juice in Norris draws students

Hallie Liang/The Daily Northwestern

SESP senior Danielle Oloko will be frequenting Norris University Center this year for the new smoothies, not the new seats. With the opening of Jamba Juice on Sept. 14, students have a brand-recognizable kiosk from which to purchase smoothies this fall.

Jamba Juice replaced Freshens, the former dining option of Willie’s Too, offering frozen yogurt and ice cream, as well as smoothies. The Norris store is Jamba’s 30th campus store opening since 1997, as a part of Jamba’s campus kiosk initiative for its popular smoothie brand.

Jamba’s campus kiosks are part of the company’s effort to grow the brand and provide college students with a healthy, on-the-go meal option.

“We think it’s a prime opportunity to introduce a whole new group of consumers to the Jamba brand,” said Janice Duis, director of corporate communications for Jamba Juice. “It’s a fun brand and people who are focused on health and wellness have options available to them.”

Chris Gargiulo, the general manager of Sodehxo, said the response to Jamba has already been profitable. Sales since the kiosk’s opening have been three times as much as Freshens. Retail manager Scott Gannon adds that sales have increased daily.

Gargiulo credits Jamba’s national brand for its immediate success.

“Jamba is a nationally-known concept with name recognition,” said Gargiulo. “The menu variety is a lot more diverse, and we’ve been getting all new customers.”

Weinberg sophomore Jennifer Kim agrees.

“Taste and price wise, Jamba is pretty much the same as Freshens,” said Kim. “The only difference is really brand appeal and that’s why people really like it.”

Location has also played a factor in Jamba’s success. With the nearest Jamba Juice on Davis Street, the Norris location makes Jamba more easily accessible to students throughout the day, said Weinberg sophomore Stephanie Leung.

“Jamba is so delicious, but it’s so far to walk, all the way off campus, to the one in Evanston,” Leung said. “It’s easier now that you can also use meals.”

Some students have noticed Jamba’s limited menu, compared to its off-campus locations, Gargiulo said. He added that unlike Starbucks, Jamba is a kiosk and does not carry a full menu.

The Jamba kiosk offers 18 different drinks as opposed to the more than 25 drinks offered at storefront Jamba Juices. Missing from the menu are classics such as Aloha Pineapple and Berry Fulfilling. But additions to Jamba are already underway.

Beginning next week, Jamba will offer four varieties of California pizza flatbreads as a late-night alternative to Sbarro. And biodegradable cups will soon replace the current Styrofoam variety.

Oloko hopes that Norris will continue to add popular brands to its dining options.

“I like that NU finally picked some nice franchises,” Oloko said. “I would like if they continue putting more franchises like Jamba into Norris.”