Blotter: bike stolen, graffiti on NU building, attempted break-in

Trek bicycle stolen outside Phi Mu Alpha

A Northwestern student reported the theft of a bicycle worth more than $300 on Sunday, police said.

The student secured the front tire of a red and white Trek 3700 bicycle with a U-shaped lock to a bike rack outside Phi Mu Alpha fraternity, 626 Emerson St., said University Police Assistant Chief Dan McAleer. The theft occurred between 7 p.m. on Saturday and 4 p.m. on Sunday. The student found the bike’s front tire still locked to the rack, but the rest of the bicycle was missing.

The bike had no distinguishing characteristics, but the student provided police with the bike’s serial number. There are no leads in the investigation, McAleer said.

Investigation closed on graffiti on NU building

An NU police officer found graffiti on the doors of a university-owned building on Sunday morning, police said.

The building, located at 2020 Ridge Ave., houses several NU offices including Facilities Management. The letters K, A and W were spray-painted in white on the southeast doors of the building, McAleer said.

Photographs of the damage were taken and placed into evidence at police facilities. Police do not know what the letters may mean and there are no suspects, he said. The investigation is closed.

Homeowner thwarts attempted break-in

A man attempted to break into a residence on Saturday by breaking a glass door at the home, police said.

The owner of the house, on the 1900 block of Darrow Ave., was alerted of the break-in when he heard the glass shatter, said Evanston Police Cmdr. Tom Guenther. The homeowner struck the would-be intruder, who then fled the scene.

The homeowner suffered a slight injury to the mouth after being hit by the man’s fist, Guenther said. Nothing was reported missing.

Police are still actively looking for a suspect, Guenther said, who is believed to be a man in his early twenties.