Police search lake for Boehm

UPDATE Saturday, 6:31 p.m.University Police has received multiple calls about the green Schwinn bicycle owned by Communication freshman Trevor Boehm. But UP has not located the bicycle or any other personal items of Boehm’s since Thursday, university spokesman Al Cubbage said this evening.

A vigil for Boehm will take place Monday at 8 p.m. at Alice Millar Chapel, he said.

Check dailynorthwestern.com for continuing updates on this story.

UPDATE Friday, 4:46 p.m.A search of Lake Michigan earlier today for missing Communication freshman Trevor Boehm turned up no results. Police used a boat and an underwater camera starting at about 11 a.m. and continuing for a few hours, vice president for university relations Al Cubbage said this afternoon.

—On their fifth day searching for Trevor Boehm, University Police finally found a trace of the missing Communication freshman: his jacket, keys, ID and cell phone on the rocky slope of the Lakefill.

The U.S. Coast Guard began searching Lake Michigan with a boat and a helicopter soon after the items were found at about 11:30 a.m. Thursday, said Al Cubbage, vice president for university relations, in a press conference Thursday afternoon.

Boehm, a 20-year-old from Monument, Colo., has been missing for more than a week.

He last used his Marlock key to enter South Mid-Quads Hall on Nov. 5, Cubbage said. Boehm’s WildCARD has not been used since.

When Boehm’s parents arrived for Family Weekend last week, they were unable to reach their son, Cubbage said. They notified UP on Saturday and filed a missing persons report the next day.

There is no indication of foul play, Cubbage said.

UP has been searching campus and the surrounding areas since Sunday. But they had no success finding anything related to Boehm or his bicycle, a green Schwinn that has still not been found, until Thursday.

Police searched the northern end of the Lakefill, where the jacket was found, during earlier searches, but found nothing, Cubbage said.

“It’s possible it’s been there, it may have blown there,” Cubbage said, adding that the cracks and crevices between the rocks on the Lakefill could have made finding the brown suede jacket difficult.

The water had been too choppy for a search of Lake Michigan earlier in the week, he said.

The Coast Guard began conducting shoreline searches by boat and aerial searches by helicopter at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday, said Coast Guard Officer Brendt Wollert.

“We’re just basically checking to see if we find a body,” Wollert said. “We’re just hoping this kid that they say might be there is somewhere else.”

Dive teams from the Chicago Police Department could be called in if searches reveal nothing, Wollert said. But he said there are currently no plans to begin an underwater search.

Boehm, who went to high school at a school for the performing arts in Colorado Springs, Colo., attended Northwestern briefly last year, Cubbage said. The registrar’s office confirmed that he had been enrolled for Fall Quarter 2007.

He returned to NU this year as a freshman and lived in South Mid-Quads in a single room.

Boehm’s family was notified shortly after the jacket was found, Cubbage said.

“The University continues to work with Trevor’s family, and our thoughts are with them at this time,” he said in a press release.

Megan Crepeau, Ben Geier, Sean Walsh, Amanda Luevano and Mike Walton contributed to this report.