Delays continue to plague trial in case of rape of NU student

Two years after the rape of a Northwestern student, the man suspected of committing the crime is still awaiting trial.

In a hearing Thursday morning, 25-year-old Darryl Deshawn Preston, 2108 Dewey Ave., told a Skokie Circuit Court judge he wanted to represent himself, said Andy Conklin, a spokesman for the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office. The move, which was approved by Judge Garritt E. Howard, officially removed an attorney who had represented Preston.

Police arrested Preston at his Evanston home in July 2007 after preliminary DNA evidence linked him to the crime. They charged him with burglary, home invasion, unlawful restraint and criminal and sexual assault.

An attacker approached a 22-year-old NU student as she was entering her apartment on the 1200 block of Simpson Street on May 8, 2007, according to police reports. The attacker pushed the student into her apartment, threatening to kill her if she screamed. He then took the woman to her bedroom and raped her, positioning himself to hide his face from her. Afterward, he tied the student’s hands behind her back with a phone cord and stole her cell phone.

Preston pleaded not guilty to all charges at his arraignment in August 2007. If convicted on all charges, he could face more than 21 years in prison.

The case has been delayed many times since the arrest. A trial was originally set for November 2007, but since then there have been many “status dates,” a technical term for official in-court gatherings of all parties to update each other on the status of the case. Preston has been represented by at least one attorney – NU alumna Hilary James, Weinberg ’73.

Preston will next appear in Skokie Circuit Court on June 24 for another status date.

Related:Suspect arrested in May student rape case 7/26/07 Trial set for NU rape suspect 10/18/07 NU rape hearing delayed for two more weeks 1/10/08Nine months later, students, residents still remember rape 1/25/08Latest delay pushes NU rape case back 6 more weeks 1/25/08