Softball: Wildcat woes in Waco: Two and out in Texas

Nothing went right for Northwestern in the NCAA tournament.

As recently as five weeks ago, the Wildcats were the No. 6 team in the nation, but since went 8-7 (5-5 in conference play). This weekend, NU couldn’t break out of the slump, bowing out of the double elimination regional tournament at Waco, Texas, as quickly as possible. The Cats lost a run-rule contest 8-0 to Texas State on Friday and fell 3-2 in an elimination game against Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday. They became the only seeded team in the tournament to be eliminated in two games.

“This is a time you’re never ready for,” coach Kate Drohan said. “You have to say goodbye to the class of 2009, and that is a heartbreaker for Northwestern softball.”

The 12th-seeded team in the nation did not look like the team that earned that distinction.

After hitting .294 with 79 homers over the course of the season, the Cats were one-hit by Texas State’s Chandler Hall. NU’s only extra-base hit came in Friday’s first inning – a double by senior Tammy Williams

Lauren Delaney, last year’s Big Ten pitcher of the year, had control issues, allowing 11 runs in two games, despite surrendering only five hits. Delaney walked 19 batters on the weekend. Teams have learned how to face and beat Delaney, who threw a one-hitter on Saturday, without getting hits.

“We did a really good job of doing exactly what we talked about all week long,” said Texas State coach Ricci Woodard. “We were going to force them to throw strikes.”

Even fielding, one of NU’s consistencies, wasn’t there: Catcher Erin Dyer, who had committed only one error all season, committed three in the fourth inning of the Texas State game, providing the catalyst for a six-run Bobcat outburst.

“We didn’t play very good softball,” Drohan said after the first game.

Offensively, the team was held hitless after Williams’ first inning double, and Delaney walked 11 in the five-inning affair. The team’s bad play culminated in the fourth inning. With the score 1-0, Delaney walked the bases loaded, then two consecutive Dyer errors allowed runs to score. The damage was done.

“When someone is rattled, we want to take advantage,” said Texas State sophomore McKenzie Baack. “I think we did a good job of that.”

However, due to the tournament’s double elimination format, the Cats still had an opportunity to advance to a rematch against Texas State by beating Louisiana-Lafayette. Delaney was much better, allowing only a single, and that runner didn’t come around to score. However, three runs scored due to an unseemly eight walks and four wild pitches.

NU had a chance to win until the end of the game. The Cats fought back, plating a run in the fourth to cut the Ragin’ Cajun lead to one, and looked ready to score again in the seventh. Pinch-hitter Emily Haug drew a walk to lead off the inning, and after two fielders’ choices and a wild pitch, Jordan Wheeler stood at third base with two outs and Big Ten freshman of the year Adrienne Monka at the plate.

However, in an at-bat representative of the team’s performance all weekend long, the freshman with 19 homers could only muster a grounder back to pitcher Donna Bourgeois.

NU players were unavailable for comment.