Apprentice’ finalist speaks about business experiences

James Sun arrived in America with his family and $35 when he was four. Now a multimillionaire, he spoke at in Leverone Hall on Tuesday about his success and appearance on the television show, “The Apprentice.”

About 30 students attended the event, hosted by the Asian Pacific American Coalition, to hear Sun speak about how being an Asian-American impacted his life, his experience as a finalist on “The Apprentice” and his business career, said Amy Zhu, the president of APAC.

“We’re always looking for Asian-Americans who are prominent in society,” the Weinberg junior said. “James was a very prominent member, and you don’t really see an Asian businessman that often.”

Sun explained the rigorous process he went through to become one of the 18 selected for the show. He was “grilled” in front of cameras, producers and Donald Trump for about four months, he said.

“There’s one thing that really made an impression on me,” he said. “They asked me why I should be on the show. I turned the question around and asked them why in five seasons of ‘The Apprentice’ they never cast another Asian male.”

Sun said he was shocked when the producers responded that Asians didn’t make for good television because they aren’t outgoing and forefront people.

“When I heard that response I reacted with a chip on my shoulder,” he said. “We need to teach America and teach the world about our culture. When that moment happened, I made a decision to get on the show and not be typecasted.”

Charles Kim, a Kellogg graduate student who attended the event, said he knew Sun previously.

“It’s great that he’s coming out and speaking with undergraduates about his experience,” he said. “I have the same sentiments that he does.”

Sun still remains in touch with Donald Trump, who recently invited him to the Miss USA pageant. Sun said he was disappointed by Trump’s response to a reporter’s question on his view on marriage.

“He deferred,” Sun said. “I never heard Donald Trump defer an answer. Trump promotes Wharton. Hopefully Kellogg students will never defer an answer.”

Sun also shared his business experience working on his own company, Zoodango.com, an online community for “lifestyle-oriented venues in your city” according to the Web site. He is about to begin filming his own reality show in Singapore.

Sun ended his speech by explaining his ideal model of a successful person.

“The three characteristics of successful business people are to have the chip (on your shoulder) and the fire, to always be an active opportunist and the third is to be memorable,” he said. “From a global perspective, it is to get invested in Asia. Invest your time, energy and efforts into Asia.”