Zeta’s ‘Light the Way’ raises breast cancer awareness

Weinberg freshman Jenny Jo and Communication freshman Royer Bockus, members of Zeta Tau Alpha, light candles along Sheridan Rd. as part of the sorority’s “Light the Way” philanthropy event. The event raised money for breast cancer research. Steve Blackman/The Daily Northwestern

Luminaries decorated with pale pink construction paper ribbons lined the Sheridan Road sidewalk for more than three blocks Sunday night for the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority’s annual Light the Way Mother’s Day Luminaria Walk, honoring those affected by breast cancer.

The ribbons displayed on the luminaries were sold in the weeks leading up to the walk by the members of Zeta. Ribbons could be purchased in memory of a loved one lost to breast cancer, in honor of a survivor or just to show support for breast cancer awareness, said Weinberg sophomore Maya Walker, a Zeta philanthropy chair.

Zeta members gathered at the Arch at 7:30 to begin assembling the luminaries and lining them along the Sheridan Road sidewalk, between the Arch and the intersection of Garnett Place and Sheridan Road.

Zeta President Kayla Bensing said this year’s walk has more luminaries than last year’s event.

Walker said the ribbon sales for the philanthropy had not been affected by the economic recession. She said donations were consistent because the task of selling ribbons was divided between all of the sorority members.

However, alumni sponsorship was affected by the recession, Walker said. In the past, the bags and candles for the luminaries were donated by the sorority’s alumni sponsors. This year, the alumni said they did not have enough money to donate the materials, which required the chapter to adjust its own funding to defray the cost.

In past years, Light the Way was held on campus between the Arch and Norris. The location was moved to the sidewalk of Sheridan Road this year – a change that made the event more visible to those outside the NU community, she said.

“It is a predominantly campus event, but this year more people in the community are seeing the luminaries and we are able to reach out to them,” said McCormick junior Kristina Marrero, another Zeta philanthropy chair.

While much of Zeta’s breast cancer awareness programming is held in October as part of National Breast Cancer Awareness month, Light the Way is held in the beginning of May to coincide with Mother’s Day, Walker said.

The proceeds of the ribbon sales will be donated to the ZTA Foundation for breast cancer awareness and education. Walker said Zeta hopes to raise about $1,000 through ribbon sales and donations as a part of the Light the Way event. She estimated about $850 has been raised so far.

Fundraising, however, is not the event’s primary goal.

“(Light the Way is) our big philanthropy event for NU and the community,” said Bensing, a Medill sophomore. “The intent isn’t raising money – it’s more about breast cancer awareness.”