BREAKING: 8 cases of swine flu confirmed in Evanston

Updated May 7, 6:20 p.m.
Evanston has its first case of swine flu confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, city officials said Thursday evening.

The CDC has confirmed eight cases of swine flu in Evanston, according to a City of Evanston statement released at 5:10 p.m. Every case has fully recovered or is on the way to a full recovery with no complications.

Each case occurred in a young individual, with ages ranging from three years old to 28 years old, according to the release.

Carl Caneva, the acting director of Evanston’s Health and Human Services Department, gave suggestions for avoiding the virus.

“At this time (we are) recommending that the primary means of reducing the spread of influenza in schools is to focus on early identification of ill students and staff, staying home when ill, and good cough and hand hygiene etiquette,” he said.

Caneva recommended keeping Evanston schools open.

“School closure is not advised for a suspected or confirmed case of influenza A (H1N1) and, in general, is not advised unless there is a magnitude of faculty or student absenteeism that interferes with the school’s ability to function,” he said.

Related:CDC confirms 8 Evanston cases of swine flu 5/08/09Quote Rail: Should University Police refer illegal immigrants to federal authorities? 5/08/09Evanston hospital suspects case of swine flu 5/01/09Evanston residents, NU students weigh in on the swine flu 5/01/09Swine flu outbreaks hit close to home 4/30/09NU, Evanston announce swine flu response procedures 4/28/09