ASG to focus on shuttle service improvements for Fall Quarter

As the Associated Student Government’s new cabinet begins its term, its members have made a decision to focus on one issue each quarter for the upcoming year, ASG Vice President Tommy Smithburg said. This quarter, the board plans to focus on improving the university’s shuttle service.

To begin the process, ASG currently has a poll open online to gather student opinion on the subject, the results of which members of the Executive Board will bring to a meeting with administrators Thursday.

The poll, which asks about shuttle usage habits, which areas need more service and students’ general concerns about the service, is the first performed by ISBE Analytics on behalf of ASG, Smithburg said.

“When we say, ‘Hey, here’s what X number of people say in our survey,’ we hope that working with ISBE will give us more credibility,” Smithburg said.

While the survey was not complete, he said ASG plans to ask the administration to find methods to improve the reliability of the system, provide a simplified schedule for students and bring more service to the freshman dorms on North Campus.

Despite the possibility of increased costs, Smithburg said administration officials would likely be receptive to student opinions on the shuttle services.

“They may design a very effective system, but at the end of the day they’re not students, and they don’t walk to class and are very willing to listen to us and our perspective,” he said.

Director for University Services Brian Peters said he was very interested to meet the students and added that the university had already done work to address some complaints.

According to Peters, a deal had already been finalized to make the GPS tracking of shuttles publicly accessible online to students, a longtime ASG goal. Peters said the system would be available at the start of Fall Quarter.

“If it’s not the first day of school, I believe it will be very soon after that,” Peters said.

Smithburg said the meeting’s notes will be available next week.