Date set for Schapiro inauguration

Updated May 5, 2:50 p.m.
The inauguration of incoming Northwestern University President Morton Schapiro has been set for Oct. 7-10, according to the inauguration planning committee led by Sarah Peason, vice president for alumni relations and development.

The ceremony itself is tentatively set for 3:00 p.m. on Oct. 9.

The festivities will include a speech by Pulitzer Prize winner and New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman and a symposium addressing “Big Ideas and Challenges,” according to a press release.The inauguration committee will also work with student groups to bring “a major music performer or band” for a concert the evening of Friday, Oct. 9.

Claire Lew, who sits on the committee as the chair of One Northwestern, has been involved in the planning stages of the inauguration. Lew is also the Associated Student Government’s public relations director.

“I’m incredibly excited for Morton Schapiro’s inauguration, especially because he really has been emphasizing a focus on undergraduates,” the SESP sophomore said. “It’s a really cool opportunity for students to welcome him to show him what NU is about and for him to get a taste of everything we have to offer.”

Lew said the committee hopes to celebrate the student body.

“We have so many talented people, we have so many things to offer, there are so many amazing people who go to this school,” she said. “We want to celebrate the fact that they’re all here and that we have new leadership coming in.”

More to come.