Kafka given reins to offense

On November 1, 2008, quarterback Mike Kafka made the prospect of Northwestern’s 2009 offense seem much less scary.

Starting for the first time in more than two years, Kafka danced around defenders for a Big Ten quarterback record 217 yards en route to an upset 24-17 win over No. 20 Minnesota.

Then, the Wildcats were injury-ravaged – starting quarterback C.J. Bachér was out, as was star running back Tyrell Sutton.

Now, NU’s offense is graduation-ravaged. Bachér, Sutton, backup running back Omar Conteh, and receivers Eric Peterman, Rasheed Ward and Ross Lane are all gone. Their departures leave the Cats without 88 percent of last year’s passing yards, 74 percent of their rushing yards and 81 percent of their receiving yards.

Both situations cast the spotlight on Kafka, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound fifth-year senior whose game lies in his speed.

Against Minnesota, the best of Kafka the runner met the best of Kafka the passer.

For 60 minutes, Kafka tossed bullets and made pursuing linebackers look silly with spin moves, cutbacks and speed. On some plays, opposing cornerbacks and safeties were forced to track him down. On others, bringing down Kafka often proved as hard as catching up to him. Sometimes, he scrambled when the pass broke down. Other times, he broke free on designed runs.

“I definitely think it builds some confidence going into the season,” said Kafka, of the victory in Minneapolis. “Especially with some of the guys that were around and played last year.”

With the offense in Kafka’s hands, the key to Cats’ season offensively lies in his ability to do what he did last year against the Golden Gophers – only with more passing.

“I’m looking for Mike to run our offense,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said. “He’s a true dual-threat quarterback. He can throw it as well as he can run it.”

How much of a dual-threat quarterback Kafka can be is debatable. He ran the ball 56 times in his two games as a starter last year, while only attempting 43 passes. In the last two games of the season, Kafka spelled Bachér on some drives, and despite taking off with the ball six times, he never attempted a pass. His three career passing touchdowns are coupled with eight interceptions.

“He can run with the football, we know that,” offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Mick McCall said. “The thing we’re working on right now is trying to do a better job of him throwing the football.”

Kafka’s passing problem has more to do with consistency than talent. Against Minnesota, he showed the full range of his passing skills, executing a touch pass over the top of the secondary to a streaking Jeremy Ebert for a 36-yard touchdown on the first drive of the game.

Later, Kafka failed to notice Minnesota cornerback Traye Simmons lurking in the flat, waiting to take a screen pass he never should have thrown back for a touchdown.

“He shows that he’s got a strong arm,” McCall said, “But we’re throwing a lot at him and Dan (Persa), so every day’s a learning day.”

Competition aside, Kafka looks to be the de facto leader of the offense. Just ask his receivers.

“As he goes, the offense will go,” junior Sidney Stewart said. “I only know the best from Mike. So I definitely think he’s going to be a great input in this offense.”

Despite having limited experience, Kafka is the most certain entity among next year’s offensive skill positions. Untested players are vying for time at every position: No running backs on the team were among the top four rushing leaders on last year’s Alamo Bowl team.

Starting at running back will likely be Stephen Simmons, who filled in after injuries to Sutton and Conteh.

“Last year showed me that I can play,” Simmons said. “But nothing is set right now.”

Simmons is not Tyrell Sutton, but few are. After being handed the starting job with only eight career carries for 16 yards, Simmons handled the responsibility well. In his three starts, his yardage and yards-per-carry increased each game in three NU wins.

The top four receiving leaders have graduated, including Sutton, who lined up in the slot from time-to-time and accumulated nearly twice as many receiving yards as any current NU player.

However, Kafka is familiar with the new receiving corps. Ebert, now a sophomore and a returning receiver, was the target of Kafka’s previously mentioned finest pass of the year. Senior Andrew Brewer began his career as a freshman quarterback alongside Kafka, and Stewart spent most of last year practicing alongside Kafka on NU’s second-team offense.

In turn, game experience and chemistry will not be lacking at wide receiver.

“They’re not really that new,” Kafka said. “I’ve been working with them on the twos for the last couple of years. I’m really comfortable throwing with those guys.”

On paper, the Cats appear to be strung extremely thin by last year’s graduations. But what do they really lose?

According to everybody in the program, not much.

“Tyrell’s gone. All those guys are gone,” McCall said. “And they were good football players. But it’s the time of the guys we have here now. We’ve got guys who are on scholarship who are pretty good football players who are getting better and better. We’re going to have a good football team.”