Men’s Tennis: No change in Wildcats’ approach

When No. 42 Northwestern is faced with pressure, its coping mechanism is simple – ignore it.

Although a win in the Big Ten Tournament against No. 37 Michigan would almost certainly ensure the Wildcats a spot in the NCAA tournament, they insist their match Friday against the Wolverines will be the same as any other this season.

“Throughout the entire season, we try to have the same approach and mental focus, whether it’s a postseason game or not,” NU coach Arvid Swan said. “I expect us to be at 100 percent mentally and physically, whether it’s the first match of the year or the last.”

Facing Michigan in a postseason match would be tough no matter what, since the Wolverines knocked off the Cats 4-3 in Evanston on March 29. To complicate matters, the Big Ten Tournament will be played in Ann Arbor, Mich., which makes it a home match for Michigan.

The crowd can make a difference during matches, especially when there are only a few teams remaining. To combat this, NU has the same policy – ignore it.

“I just try not to think about the crowd or look at them or listen to them,” said freshman Joshua Graves, who plays No. 2 doubles and No. 4 singles. “Most of us just try to focus on the court and not what’s going on around us.”

Even if they ignore the crowd and the magnitude of the match, one thing the Cats cannot ignore is their opponent. Since the team’s match in late March, each has posted identical 5-1 records in the conference, both losing only to Ohio State.

The two teams also have similar strengths and weaknesses. In the previous meeting, Michigan took the doubles point, which NU has traditionally been able to win. The Cats know the Wolverines are strong at doubles and hope to take the point away from them to swing the momentum in their favor.

“Michigan is a very good doubles team,” said freshman Tobias Reitz, who plays No. 2 doubles and No. 3 singles. “If we can take the doubles point from them, it’ll be a big step toward winning the whole match.”

Swan said one of the focal points of the tennis program is on improvement throughout the year. The way the team has competed all year and won close matches has given the players confidence they did not yet have during the last match against Michigan.

“We’re better in all areas,” Swan said. “Our doubles has gotten better through the year, and singles-wise, all our guys are developing. We’re a better team than when we played Michigan earlier in the year.”

The team has worked in practice, especially on returning serves because Michigan serves well and has a lot of big hitters. The team has focused on taking the offensive in singles.

“We need to make sure we are able to convert on our opportunities to be offensive,” Swan said. “One of the things we need to do is not be on the defensive all the time when we play Michigan, but control some points.”

Reitz said he tries to give it his all physically and mentally no matter when it is in the season. But playing in the postseason with everything on the line could push the team to increase its intensity.

“We’ll all be even more focused on the match and want to win even more because every match could potentially be our last,” Reitz said. “We’ll be more focused and more willing to give everything we’ve got to win.”