ETHS Board recognizes outgoing members

School board members offered kind words for three outgoing members at the Evanston Township High School Board meeting Monday night.

Members Missy Fleming and Margaret Lurie did not seek re-election this year, while student member Adam Newman is graduating from ETHS.

Newly elected mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl made a special appearance to kick off the recognition of the outgoing members. Tisdahl, a former board member, praised Lurie for her 20 years of service to the board.

“The way I feel about this school is that people do not move to Evanston for the tap water, they don’t move here for the potholes, they move here for the schools,” she said. “I now represent the community, and I know the community is very grateful to you, so thank you very much, Margaret.”

Missy Fleming reflected on her time on the board in a speech that summarized her four years as a member.

Board Vice President Rachel Hayman, who was elected at the same time as Fleming, described her as “ultra-conscientious” and “grounded.”

“We will miss your voice so much,” she said. “I will miss your voice so much.”

Board President Martha Burns spoke last among the members. She testified to the different perspective Fleming has brought to the board, while expressing her gratitude to Lurie for impacting her own experience on the board.

“You taught me that you can overcome differences of opinion and come out on the other side and still respect one another,” Burns said to Lurie.

Newly elected school board members Deborah Graham and Gretchen Livingston were both in attendance.

Board members also discussed student safety in response to a question about how to help victims of violence in need of support.

Assistant Superintendent Marilyn Madden said the school tailors a care plan to fit individual students’ needs. She said if the care plan does not work, placement at a different high school is an option, but ETHS has the resources to deal with difficult situations.

“Whatever we need to facilitate that student’s education, we will do,” she said.

Also at Monday’s meeting, six ETHS teachers were given tenure and showers of praise from both members and other faculty

“You can see by the caliber of the faculty members that the best and brightest have been tenured here at ETHS,” Witherspoon said.