Baseball: Brooke earns first career win in rout

In a 2-0 no-hit loss against Michigan State last Saturday, Northwestern would have been satisfied with one hit. Tuesday’s 21-hit outburst should help heal those wounds.

After being swept, the Wildcats responded with ease, scoring a run in each of the first five innings of a 16-0 win over Elmhurst College on Tuesday.

“I feel like this was a type of day we needed for a while,” coach Paul Stevens said. “To get guys relaxed and get some other people some swings. They just needed to have some fun and that’s what I saw today – guys getting at it that haven’t gotten some opportunities to play.”

Freshman outfielder Quentin Williams and senior designated hitter Jake Wilson each had two hits and three RBIs. Wilson, who was given a rare start, was one of the many Cats who took advantage of the opportunity to play on the mound and at the plate in a blowout win. NU’s struggling three and four hitters Jake Goebbert and Chris Lashmet went 3 for 5 and 5 for 5, respectively.

“It felt good to finally break out,” Lashmet said. “I worked on some things at the plate today and saw the ball great.”

Every NU starter in the lineup had at least one hit. Even with only five extra base hits, the Cats still managed to score 16 runs. Hitting collectively as a team and coming through with timely hits with runners in scoring position has been a struggle this season for NU. Considering the recent sweep, a 21-hit parade has lifted the Cats’ spirits.

“I can honestly tell you this weekend was really disappointing for them,” Stevens said. “I haven’t seen guys take three losses as badly as the way this group did, especially with them being in games the way they were, and how they lost them. Our one through nine hitters have hit for most of the year. But they just all haven’t hit at the same time like they did today.”

With only seven appearances and one start this season, freshman pitcher Francis Brooke capitalized as the starter Tuesday. He threw five shutout innings, walking two and striking out four for his first win of his career. NU allowed only three hits in the game, thanks to solid pitching outings by seldom-used relievers Brian Morgan, Matt Gailey and Matt Havey.

Having the bullpen throw four shutout innings was a relief for Stevens.

“What you have to do is keep pitchers ready,” Stevens said. “With the way the weather has been, coming out of finals, and with our game structure, they haven’t had as many innings as I would like. Our starters are doing very well, but our relievers…have been giving us some issues.”

NU will look to continue its offensive success against Northern Illinois today. With that no-hitter now in the distant past, NU now has proof in 21 hits that its offense is on back on the rise.

“We just need to get out and play as often as we can because guys are starting to find strides,” Stevens said. “I can see some of the starters starting to get their swings back.”