Decemberists not confirmed as Dillo Day act

The apparent release of information Saturday from an EMI publicist confirming indie rock group The Decemberists as one of the main acts for Dillo Day was “a misunderstanding,” according to an e-mail from Cem Kurosman, director of publicity for EMI Music.

Mayfest still cannot confirm that the group is performing at the May 30 concert, said Mayfest co-chairwoman Diana Richter.

The Weinberg senior said Mayfest usually does not have close contact with an act’s publicist.

“The only contact we have with the publicist is when we’re promoting the artist and they have a specific image they want to use,” she said.

Kurosman wrote in an e-mail message Monday that EMI Music “can’t confirm shows.”

Richter said Mayfest normally instructs agents to not “publicize the event or discuss it with any sources.”

“For every band that we have booked in the past and will book in the future, we specify (this),” she said.

Mayfest director of concerts David Lowe said Mayfest deals almost exclusively with artists’ agents when hammering out contracts. Other parties, like managers and publicists, often “get their marching orders from the agency,” the McCormick senior said.

“I can’t speak to any of the details as to what went down,” the McCormick senior said.

Richter said Mayfest is not aware of the name of the EMI source.

“If they confirmed it or not, it’s as much of a surprise to us as it is to (Mr. Kurosman),” Richter said.