Multiple thefts, stolen laptop

Man steals food from American Massage Therapy Association

A man snuck into an office of the American Massage Therapy Association to steal food Wednesday, authorities said.

The man walked into the office complex at 500 Davis St. at 7:09 a.m., Evanston Police Department Cmdr. Tom Guenther said.

He entered Suite 900, which is occupied by the American Massage Therapy Association, through an unlocked glass door. He stole food from a refrigerator and then left the building.

Witnesses described the thief to be in his 40s, 5 feet 10 inches, weighing 230 pounds, Guenther said. He reportedly had black hair and wore a black knit cap, blue jeans and a blue jacket.

Police are investigating.

Man arrested at Jewel for trying to shoplift cans of baby formula

Police arrested an Evanston man after he tried to steal baby formula from Jewel-Osco, despite his protests that he didn’t have enough money.

Gregory K. Mosley, 51, of 322 Callan Ave., went to Jewel-Osco, 1128 Chicago Ave. on Tuesday, Guenther said. He put cans of baby formula into shopping bags and tried to leave without paying at 5:05 p.m., but employees stopped him.

Police arrived on the scene and arrested him.

Mosley is due in circuit court at 9 a.m. on April 6 in Skokie.

Wallet thief appears to have insider access to secure areas in Norris

After two thefts at the Norris University Center Bookstore last Thursday, it is apparent that somebody has access to secured areas, authorities said.

A Chicago resident and 27-year-old bookstore employee placed her purse, which contained her wallet, inside a break room on the first floor at 9 a.m. The break room is secured at all times, she told police.

She retrieved her purse at 11:30 a.m., University Police Assistant Chief Dan McAleer said. While she was waiting for the bus, she noticed her wallet was missing.

The wallet contained only her ID card and insurance card.

The incident may be related to another theft of a wallet that occurred the same day, McAleer said. The wallet, which had been secured in a locker on the ground floor, contained a Social Security card, green card, debit card, several credit cards and $80.

There were no signs of forced entry in either case, McAleer said.

The investigation is ongoing.

Laptop in Tech stolen despite being secured by cable to a desk

A man stole a laptop from the Technological Institute, 2145 Sheridan Road, on Tuesday after ripping it from its security cable, authorities said.

The man, described as about 6 feet tall, more than 200 pounds and in his early 40s, with a shaved head and wearing a long-sleeved denim blue jacket, entered a first floor, E-Wing room of Tech, and stole the laptop from a desk. He forcefully removed the laptop from its security cable, partially damaging the computer, McAleer said.

A witness working in the room saw the man leave with the laptop and called police immediately.

Police checked the surrounding area, including downtown Evanston, but found nobody matching the man’s description, McAleer said.

The laptop was a silver Hewlett-Packard worth $1400.

The investigation is ongoing.

– Chris Kirk