Football: Evanston, the Steel City?

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Northwestern Wildcats have little in common on paper.

Since the Truman administration, Pittsburgh has walked away with six Super Bowl championships. NU is still searching for its first bowl win. This spring, the teams have something in common on the practice field.

Last Friday, one of Fitzgerald’s player development staffers found a quote from Steelers coach Mike Tomlin to share with the Cats before Monday’s practice. It referenced the importance of the Super Bowl champions remaining driven.

“They’re looking at this year like they’re 0-16, going into the draft,” Fitzgerald said. “That’s kind of been our approach to the offseason, that we didn’t win anything last year. People are going to say things about our football program that we can’t control one way or the other. What we can control is our effort.”

For Fitzgerald’s team, the same rule applies. Reminiscing about last season’s nine wins and trip to the Alamo Bowl is moot, unless framed in the context of improving the result: a 30-23 overtime loss to Missouri.

Senior wide receiver Andrew Brewer saw the parallel his coach was aiming to make. With the loss of graduating seniors Rasheed Ward, Ross Lane, and Eric Peterman, Brewer is now the elder statesman of the Cats receivers.

“His main point behind it is, here’s an example of a team that’s won it all, on the elite level of football that you can get to,” Brewer said. “And this is their attitude, that last year does not count for anything. It’s the same thing. We need to learn from last year, but at the same time, we can’t say we made a good bowl game and settle.”

OFFENSE OFF AND RUNNING

When then-junior Mike Kafka rushed for a Big Ten record 217 yards in last season’s 24-17 win at Minnesota, Fitzgerald had a strong glimpse of the future of his offense.

And for the time being, he has no plans to change that glimpse.

While open competition is a staple of Fitzgerald’s spring practices, quarterback is one position looking more concrete in his mind than others.

“With what he’s done in the past, he’s given himself the opportunity to be our starting quarterback,” Fitzgerald said of Kafka. “Dan (Persa’s) gonna push and push but I think we’ve got a great situation.”

Through 19 periods of reps Monday, Kafka got acquainted with his new unit of receivers, headed by Brewer and Sidney Stewart. Replacing five skill position players – including the quarterback and top two receivers – may be less daunting, as those receivers have risen along with Kafka.

The familiarity among the members of former No. 2 unit led to greater fluidity in the opening drills as a No. 1 operation.

“I’m really comfortable with those guys,” Kafka said. “Right now we’re trying to mesh, and (Monday) was a good start. But it needs to be better and it will be better.”

His receivers seem comfortable with him behind center. Brewer said he was especially looking forward to see Kafka’s progress over the course of the 15 practices, primarily because he trusts him to do the job.

“I’ve been around him a while and especially for him, it’s been a long time coming,” Brewer said. “I’ve gotten to play sporadically throughout the past, but he’s been sitting and waiting. It’s his turn, and I know that like him, the rest of the guys are ready to come out and show the type of work they can do.”

INCHES TO GO

NU entered spring ball with 11 players out due to injuries. Most notable on that list is a trio of seniors: defensive end Corey Wootton (knee), offensive tackle Desmond Taylor (knee) and strong safety Brad Phillips (shoulder). No timetable has been set for their returns, but all 11 are expected to recover in time for the 2009 season … The Cats announced their preliminary schedule for the 2010 season, which includes road non-conference dates against Vanderbilt of the Southeastern Conference (Sept. 4) and Rice of the Western Athletic Conference (Sept. 18). One non-Big Ten opponent has yet to be determined, and will be played either September 25 or October 16.