Norris gets some Apple

Updated March 17, 4:50 p.m. Norris University Center announced Tuesday that it will celebrate the grand opening of its Apple campus store on March 30.

Housed in the Norris bookstore, the Apple section will include products to try and buy, education discounts on software and Apple products and an authorized technician on staff.

James McHaley, Norris University Center marketing manager said Apple’s demographics fit well to NU students.

“We’re absolutely excited about bringing the authorized campus store to Norris,” he said. “Apple fits so well to the college student and there’s a lot of appeal in the design and the products of Apple.”

He added that the store will be a welcome alternative to driving to Old Orchard.

“They can buy products on campus as opposed to having to go all the way over to Old Orchard to get their Macs and iPods — it’s a real opportunity to get exactly what you see in an Apple store elsewhere,” McHaley said, adding that students will be able to have their laptops serviced and attend workshops about new versions of operating systems and iLife.

Charles Depondt, assistant manager at the bookstore, said negotiations for the store began last summer and the Apple store has been delayed since fall quarter. Depondt said he thinks the store will be a success.

“We have a high percentage of Apple users compared to students at other universities so I think it will do really well,” said Depondt in an interview with the Daily last month. “Plus, other Chicago Apple Stores at colleges have proven to be very profitable.”

The grand opening will include seminars, workshops and a drawing for a free iPod.