Men’s Basketball: Cats’ season lives, dies by the zone

This season Northwestern dropped its first three games against Big Ten opponents. With three consecutive games against ranked squads upcoming on the schedule, that streak could easily have extended to six.

But the fourth game, against then-No. 19 Purdue, proved to be a turning point in the Wildcats season.

While the Cats would drop that game in heartbreaking fashion, it was a nice rebounding effort from a blowout loss against Wisconsin, and it would set the tone for the rest of the Big Ten season.

After that game, NU defeated its next two ranked opponents, including then-No. 7 Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich. The Cats are 7-5 since the Purdue loss.

“It was definitely a point where we realized that we could play well,” junior forward Kevin Coble said. “The momentum started picking up for us … Traditionally we didn’t get any better after close losses, and this year, we were able to really improve off of it.”

In that game at Welsh-Ryan Arena, coach Bill Carmody unveiled the 2009 edition of his 1-3-1 zone. As a result, NU (16-11, 7-9 Big Ten) came out aggressively on defense and forced 22 Boilermakers turnovers – 10 more turnovers than NU’s opponents had averaged in the three preceding conference games.

The Cats used the 1-3-1 zone extensively on their way to wins in five of their next six games.

Then NU paid a visit to Iowa where the 1-3-1 defense was its downfall. The Hawkeyes picked apart the zone to find openings in the corner for easy 3-point attempts. Iowa went on to win that game 56-51.

“Teams became more prepared for the 1-3-1,” junior guard Jeremy Nash said. “Because they thought that was our go-to defense.”

While the Cats had mixed in some of their matchup zone in addition to the 1-3-1 zone, Carmody began utilizing the matchup zone much more frequently after the loss to Iowa.

“Now it’s basically (that) we like to start off in the matchup,” senior guard Craig Moore said. “And if that’s working we stay with it, if not we give them the 1-3-1 and try and wreak as much havoc as possible.”

The 1-3-1 is critical to the Cats tendency to force opponents into uncomfortable positions and turn the ball over. Nash often stands at the top of the zone and tries to trap the ball at the perimeter and force skip passes that are more easily intercepted.

NU has three players standing at the next level, just outside the free throw line, combining with Nash to trap the ball at the perimeter and deter drives to the basket. Finally, either Moore or sophomore guard Michael Thompson stands at the baseline, running from side to side to guard the corner three.

“I used to love the 1-3-1, but now I like them both,” Nash said. “Playing the matchup gives me the chance to guard a man and show people that I can guard players and not just a zone spot.”

Because NU players are always near an opponent in the matchup zone, the team has more success cleaning up on the glass in that defense. It doesn’t necessarily create as many turnovers, but the Cats were able to keep the rebounding margin close in games where they relied heavily on the matchup zone against then-No. 22 Illinois, Ohio State, Indiana and Michigan.

Even though the 1-3-1 was so successful against No. 20 Purdue (22-7, 11-5) in the teams’ previous meetings, look for NU to show both defenses in Wednesday’s visit to West Lafayette, Ind.

“It just depends on the team and how we’re going at the time,” Carmody said. And (it depends) on how the ball bounces, what you’re feeling and if the other team’s comfortable.”

The more Carmody switches between the defenses, the less comfortable the Boilermakers will be.