Mayoral hopefuls debate Sunday

The Evanston mayoral candidates sparred at Northwestern on Sunday in one of the most contentious campaign debates so far.

Three candidates each took aims at fellow office-seeker Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) in a forum sponsored by the League of Women Voters of Evanston and held at the McCormick Auditorium in Norris University Center.

“If you want the same old city government and leadership, I’m not your candidate,” said small business owner Barnaby Dinges, who repeatedly emphasized that Evanston needs a mayor without “debts or obligations.” “The establishment insiders are going to be fine. They’ll be taken care of.”

After the event, Dinges acknowledged he was talking about Tisdahl, who is supported by outgoing Mayor Lorraine Morton and eight of the nine current aldermen. Evanston Plan Commission President Stuart Opdycke and urban planner Jeanne Lindwall also went after Tisdahl during the 90-minute debate, which was attended by about 100 people, including about 15 students.

After two-minute opening statements, the candidates answered audience questions ranging from affordable housing funds to town-gown relations.

The most contentious question concerned the recently passed Downtown Plan, which paves the way for developers to build a 35-story tower at 708 Church St. Opdycke and Dinges support the tower, while Lindwall and Tisdahl oppose it.

But the forum turned negative when each of the candidates was given an opportunity to ask a question of the other candidates, a feature unique to Sunday’s debate.

Dinges asked about the other candidates’ contributions to politicians, prompting a tense back-and-forth with Tisdahl.

“I have no idea what my family has given,” the alderman said. “I have contributed to Jan Schakowsky, I have contributed probably a little bit to Julie Hamos and to Jeff Schoenberg.”

“It’s easy for voters to go online,” Dinges responded. “It’s a five-minute Google search.”

“Well, they’re welcome to do so,” the alderman answered back.

Tisdahl has contributed about $50,000 to various local and federal candidates, according to the Federal Election Commission database. Dinges and Opdycke haven’t contributed anything, while Lindwall has contributed $250.

Tisdahl’s question concerned Evanston’s climate action plan, which Tisdahl supported long before its adoption in November. She asked the other candidates, “Where were you?”

They each responded with praise for the plan, which calls for Evanston to reduce its carbon emissions by 13 percent.

Opdycke ignored the guideline that questions had to be directed to all candidates, grilling Tisdahl on the endorsement she received from the local fireman’s union. He asked her if it was “the local version of pay-to-play.”

“I have absolutely no qualms about accepting $500 from the fireman’s union and I’m proud to have their support,” the alderman responded.

Lindwall struck a similar tone, asking the other candidates if they thought it was appropriate to accept money from political action committees.

The debate ended with an opportunity for the candidates to give closing statements.

Opdycke focused on his experience with the city and his vision for the future.

“I would like to have a community much like the one we have today, and that’s going to be difficult,” he said. “I would do what has to be done as mayor. I would say what has to be said as mayor. I would do this job well.”

Tisdahl highlighted her effort to lobby for a portion of the $789 billion economic stimulus bill, which she said was her top priority.

Dinges talked about the new direction his victory would bring, saying the election was about “whether the change train is going to stop in Evanston.”

Lindwall said the voters should support her because of her ability to bring people together.

“What Evanston needs right now is someone who knows how to work with diverse communities and develop consensuses,” she said. “I respectfully ask for your vote.”