Ballots set for school district elections

The ballots for April’s school board elections have been set.

Five Evanston residents will vie for four open seats on the Evanston/Skokie School District 65 school board, while the Evanston Township High School District 202 election will be less dramatic – four candidates have filed for four slots.

The deadline to file petitions passed on Monday.

In District 65, two incumbents and three newcomers are running. The race, which last week featured just two candidates, could have had six before one resident withdrew her petition.

Current board vice president and one-term member Jerome Summers is seeking re-election along with Andrew Pigozz, who was appointed to the board in Oct. 2007.

Other candidates include past Dewey School Parent-Teacher Association president Tracy Quattrocki, Niles West High School science teacher Christopher Hawker and Kim Weaver.

Board president Mary Erickson, who has sat on the board for 12 years, will not be seeking re-election. Also retiring from the board is 8-year member Mary Rita Luecke.

Of the four unopposed candidates in District 202, two are incumbent leaders of the board.

Current president Martha Burns and vice president Rachel Hayman are each trying to stay on the board.

ETHS Parent-Teacher-Student Association co-president Deborah Graham and District 65 Calendar and Wellness Committee member Gretchen Livingston are the two non-incumbents.

Members Missy Fleming and Margaret Lurie are not seeking re-election.

Current members of both boards said they were sad to see the incumbents go, but are looking forward to the new blood.

“I’m extremely excited,” said District 65 board member Bonnie Lockhart. “I look forward to everybody willing to serve the children and people of the city of Evanston.”

She added she welcomed all candidates.

“It’s a very worthy cause,” she said. “It’s a big commitment. A volunteer commitment. Anybody willing to take that on is to be admired.”