Basketball: Big Ten wakeup call

In the preseason, the Big Ten was constantly labeled a “wide open” league where several teams had a shot at the conference crown. Though this often is a politically correct way to say “mediocre,” Northwestern (8-5, 0-3 Big Ten) has been a firsthand witness to the conference’s depth and strength.

After winning eight of their first 10 games, the Wildcats appeared to be a quality team. They looked good against opponents in powerhouse conferences, winning easily against the ACC’s Florida State and the Big East’s DePaul. But with the arrival of the new year and Big Ten competition, the team has not been as impressive.

NU dropped a tight 61-57 contest at Penn State despite holding the lead for most of the game. The Cats then hosted No. 10 Michigan State and lost 77-67 behind the Spartans’ second half surge. Last week the team lost at Wisconsin 74-45 in a game that was hardly ever close.

“I think everybody needs to adjust,” senior guard Craig Moore said. “You have non-conference (games) where you can get decent shots, but now every shot is contested and you have to make them.”

The Cats have not done that yet. While they shot nearly 48 percent from the field against their non-conference opponents, they have knocked down shots at a 39-percent clip in their three conference losses.

Part of the reason NU has yet to adjust to the level of competition in Big Ten play is its youth. Two freshmen start for the team, and they are still learning the nuances of conference play.

“I think they’re still adjusting a little bit,” said Coble. “(Freshman John) Shurna’s had a tough time the last couple of games. But he’s getting more comfortable with each game.”

The most important of these adjustments is getting used the physical play of the Big Ten. The conference is known for its scrappiness and its banging in the paint, but the freshman are experiencing it for the first time.

“The Big Ten games are about twice as physical,” said freshman Luka Mirkovic, one of three NU freshmen that have played at least 40 minutes in league contests. “The guys down low in the paint are pushing around, the referees are allowing a dirty and rough game.”

But the 6-foot-11 center says he knows how to adjust.

“Do what my opponents are doing – fight back,” Mirkovic said.

This mentality could prove useful considering the difficult schedule the Cats have endured early on. After games against Penn State, Michigan State and Wisconsin, NU needs to be especially physical when it hosts No. 19 Purdue on Thursday at Welsh-Ryan Arena.