Dems dominate local, state elections

After major news outlets made their calls on the presidential race, congressional and senatorial seats followed suit. Locally, the Democrats swept the electoral map.

Durbin captures predictable win

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., will head back to Washington for a third term after defeating Republican Steve Sauerberg with more than 70 percent of the vote. Durbin held a 25 percent lead over Sauerberg shortly before election day. As precinct results streamed in Tuesday night, Durbin maintained no less than a 30 percent lead over the Lombard doctor.

Shortly after 8:30 p.m., Sauerberg made a congratulatory call to Durbin, conceding the race and offering condolences for the recent death of Durbin’s daughter. Chris Durbin, 40, died Saturday from complications related to a congenital heart condition.

“We may have come up short tonight, but our efforts were not in vain and our work is not done,” Sauerberg said in his concession speech. “Each of us has an obligation to the next generation to continue to fight for what we believe in, to continue to fight for what we know is right, and to continue to fight for the future of Illinois.”

As the Senate’s Assistant Majority Leader, Durbin vocally opposed U.S. presence in Iraq, and was one of only 23 senators to vote against the war in 2002. Durbin has also advocated intervention in Darfur and been a longtime critic of the current healthcare system during his 12-year tenure.

“I look forward to representing our great state in the Senate and working with our new president to face our historic challenges,” Durbin said in a statement.

Schakowsky rides to victory

Democratic incumbent and Evanston resident Jan Schakowsky will return to Washington after defeating Republican newcomer and self-declared “maverick” Michael Younan with more than 70 percent of the vote. Schakowsky, who has perennially won by landslide margins, served as national co-chairwoman of the Obama campaign.

Obama’s soon-to-be-vacant Senate seat is up for grabs, and Schakowsky is a favored candidate. Like Obama, she has long advocated healthcare reform and a revised plan of action in Iraq.

Schoenberg overcomes Republican

Incumbent State Sen. Jeff Schoenberg (9th) defeated Glenview attorney Brendan Appel, 33, earning more than 70 percent of the vote.

As of August, Schoenberg held a 13-to-1 fund-raising advantage in his re-election campaign against Appel, who was running for the first time.

Uncontested Hamos set to return

Democratic State Rep. Julie Hamos (18th), will continue her nine-year tenure in the Illinois state senate. She ran unopposed.

No to convention call

Illinois voters rejected a chance to hold a constitutional convention by a margin of more than 30 percent.