Men’s Soccer: Cats head to showdown of successful coaches

As if playing a 25th-ranked Michigan State squad isn’t enough for No. 6 Northwestern, the team also must cope with an emotional atmosphere in East Lansing, Mich.

On Sunday, Joe Baum, the Spartans’ coach of 32 years will coach his final regular-season game with a team looking to lock up a Big Ten regular season championship.

In his 32 years with the team Baum has won 317 games, led Michigan State to 21 winning season, and won Big Ten Coach of the Year twice.

“As much as I love Joe Baum,” coach Tim Lenahan said, “we want to spoil his going-away party.”

The Wildcats (12-1-2, 3-1-0 Big Ten) bounced back from their first loss of the season with a 1-0 win at Loyola Chicago on Wednesday.

In NU’s loss last weekend, the team allowed three goals – equaling its total from the first 13 games. Wednesday’s victory was a welcome relief.

“The only thing I was thinking about was getting a shutout,” junior goalkeeper Misha Rosenthal said.

A shutout will not come so easy against Michigan State.

The Spartans (10-5-1, 4-1-0) need just a win over the Cats to clinch the Big Ten regular season title, and get a first-round bye. Michigan State currently ranks second in the Big Ten in goals thanks to senior forward Doug DeMartin, who ranks among the nation’s leaders with 15 this season.

“When there’s someone that’s getting results like he is, you got to be extra aware of him,” Rosenthal said. “So we do give him a little extra attention and where he’s going to be on the field, he will be on the back of my mind.”

Sophomore Matt Eliason has paced NU with 11 goals. Lately though, senior midfielder Brian Usinger has carried the Cats’ offense with a goal in each of the last three games.

“Two of Brian’s goals have been on set pieces,” Eliason said. “So it’s great that we’re taking advantage of when teams foul us. He’s really stepped up in getting us the goals that we needed.”

After the Spartans, the Cats close out their season at No. 17 Indiana. A win in each of these two games could net NU’s first Big Ten championship, albeit a regular season one.

“(The Big Ten title) is right there in front of us,” Lenahan said. “We have two games to play. We win both games, we’re the Big Ten champion. That’s something that no one can take away from you.”